Help with starting a map

If you making a map like mad city where do you start

Do you start from terrain if so where exactly do you start with the middle or the edges it’s kinda confusing can someone please help

3 Likes

You do you, but how I do it is:

1. Get a general idea before you start. Don’t just do whatever. A good idea is to draw a sketch on paper.
  2. Make the general idea in Studio. Take the Add tool, and press + hold to create smooth islands. Be sure to use the cube. (I mean, I do.) Do the same for any hieght.
  3. Then, go to each area and work your way around. There’s no one order to do anything, you can do hardest to easiest or vice versa. It’s personal preference and up to you.
  4. Lastly, add sea level. It’s easier to work without.

Hope this helped.

4 Likes

I planned my map already

But where do I start exactly

Skip to step two. Start making the general outline with the cubic add tool, press and hold to form smooth islands.

Then, like specified above, just start smoothing things out. I’d suggest going from the coastline up, inland out, or in the middle and expand both ways. I would not suggest finishing one half of the island before moving to the other, rather, going and making changes to all islands gradually.

For example, beaches first, and then the inland grass.

I have two ways of going about this:

Do it just like you would with makeup or drawing, don’t finish one eye, develop both at the same time. It will look wonky if you do it one at a time.

Or, I’ll focus one at a time. Step by step, completing one before moving on. It sort of motivates me this way.

This is just how I do it, though. Do it as you please, I can’t dictate how you make your terrain.

Hope this helped. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you I don’t know if this would work for me but it looks like it will so I’ll try this if it doesn’t work right for me then like you said everybody has a different way. So thanks

1 Like

If you already planned the city: Make the terrain first. Then I make the assests in a different place and make the roads. Then you can just place them and experiment with them. I usually do that.

Another way is decide how big you want your area to be example 500x500 baseplate. define your limit/ boundary . Then after that you can start plotting land from the center working your way outwards. Once you plotted the landscape, adjust the land elevations. Then plot your road networks afterwards. After that you can start blocking out your buildings.

1 Like