Help With Trigonometry

The only trigonometry I know of is how to find the length of a right angled triangle.

For example:

Find The Length of x
Triangle
In this case you would use cos as cos θ = adjacent/hypotenuse.

So it would look like this:

But I don’t know what the trigonometry functions (sine, cosine, tangent, arcosine, arcsine, and arctangent) mean or how to use them in roblox scripting. I have seen these graphs these graphs showing how these different functions work:

but I don’t know what this means.

Can someone please explain simply what these different graphs mean and what different situations you would use these functions in roblox scripting?

Edit: Note that I have also had a look at this post but still do not fully understand: How to understand math.cos,sin,tan,acos,asin,atan

Thank you if you can get to me :smiley:

1 Like

Hey, I’d recommend khan academy for learning about these types of functions- it’s a pretty good website and has helped with my math classes a lot. You could start with their videos on the laws of sines and cosines, then go to the trigonometry unit in the algebra 2 course which will define a unit circle for you. The unit circle is the core behind defining how the sine, cosine and tangent functions work- and the rest are all various manipulations of those functions.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! Do you mind leaving the link to this particular site?

1 Like

I can’t post the site link due to roblox’s rules, but here is their verified YouTube page:

2 Likes

Thanks! [[[[[30 characters]]]]]

As an additional resource, I also created a Basic Trigonometry tutorial. It’s a little walk-through type of course.

2 Likes