Help with Walk Animation

Not releated to this old thread of mine

I still am pretty bad at doing animations and stuff, which i blame on having no experience but im trying to make a walk animation and heres what i got currently

i set the animation speed to .5 so its easier to be seen

one of the more obvious problems is that it is extremely fast for “walking” and im not sure what to do about that
and aswell as any other help on improving it is greatly appreciated

Also Heres a rblx file if you want to take a look at the animation yourself and see what ive done

Anim.rbxl (74.4 KB)

1 Like

Could always just make the animation playback speed slower

3 Likes

there’s too little movement in the leg, and why aren’t you using the curve motion? also are you purposely not moving the arms in case you are walking and doing a different animation? if not, you should move the hands more.

3 Likes

Depending on the FPS of your animation adjust it accordingly. If it’s 60 FPS you will be obviously playing 60 frames per second so if your walk anim is 2 seconds for instance span it out accordingly. I recommend making your mid point first so the frame between the start and end and work from there, it’s kinda just learning as you make it

1 Like

Sorry for the long reponses, ive just really been putting off doing it because i find it extremely boring, and it gave me a headache last time

I feel as if it would make the animation feel more choppy if im drawing out smooth movements

I thought this might be a cause, didnt look like it was moving all too much

because i lowkey dont know how to use it decently without ruining the animation even more

i just wanted to get feedback on this first part, finishing a entire animation to have it feel off would not be a good feeling.

I just had it on the default 30, is there a recommended fps i should have it set at for these type of animations?

Hm, can i have a little more information on why i should make my first frame the mid point.

:slight_smile:

(edit)
how does this look?

it looks more like a step to me, although im unsure if its going far out enough.

1 Like

Also just want to ask, why is it always defaulting to cubic?, is this just normal or did i enable something

imo cubic is nice, but its actually supposed to default to linear. i don’t use the default animator, so i don’t know if i’m right.

1 Like

cubic looks nice im not really complaining, but seemingly after i enable the line editor or whatever it defaults it to cubic im psure

1 Like

I re-did it

i feel as this looks alot better, still need to work on the other axes (y&z) as its basically all on the X axis right now

1 Like

Alright, working on the axes got me this
This is version 1, just the previous animation with more movement on the other axes

But i also thought it was facing a little too much to the right so this is version 2
its basically version 1 but pushed a little more in, may look a little bad as this was done quite hastly

Also new rblx file with v1 and v2

LegTest.rbxl (73.6 KB)

While yes its only 1 leg, im trying to get it done correctly as if i went and made the whole animation i feel as it would be alot harder to go back and fix something up with everything else moving

I just had it on the default 30, is there a recommended fps i should have it set at for these type of animations?

Yeah use 60 FPS it’s much easier to work with your frames that way and usually most standard and smoother.

Hm, can i have a little more information on why i should make my first frame the mid point.

Usually, in my opinion, it’s easier to start off by making your First and Last frame for your animation and then working from the middle. For instance, make the pose for his start stepping frame then his last step and work from the middle. Is kinda dependent on what you prefer tbh. I’d recommend stuff like moving the entire body not just 1 limb at a time. I.e. frame 5 have his left leg go back, right leg forward, left arm forward, right arm back, etc. Also if it’s R15 make use of the upper torso as you can rotate it to make your movements have more emphasis.