Hide / block replies to threads where the original post has been flagged

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to browse certain popular categories without being confronted with rule breaking posts. Specifically, often posts are immediately recognised as rule breaking by other members of the community - however, users often read these posts and reply anyway which often encourages further rulebreaking. It also pollutes the feed with low quality posts which makes it difficult to find discussions of genuine value.

As a solution, I would propose one of the following:

• Hiding from view any threads where the original post is flagged
  • Temporarily locking the threads where the original post is flagged

These actions should only apply until a staff member can establish if they are actually violating the rules, and if not they should be reinstated and locked from further flags.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my experience using the forum because I would be more easily able to identify and reply to genuine posts and other users would be less likely to reply to incendiary topics that have already been flagged.

EDIT: I’m aware of some other proposals to solve this issue, i.e. Topics with multiple flags should be hidden - Forum Feedback / Forum Features - DevForum | Roblox however I believe that this solution is different on some technicalities - perhaps a staff member could merge the two posts?

11 Likes

I support this feature! Similarly how #collaboration works, whenever a user posts in that category, thread gets locked up instantly so there isn’t any competition going on with the developers nor any drama. Now for threads which are flagged, this’d be an amazing feature! As you’ve mentioned, it pollutes the thread and users go off-topic which later results in a huge drama.

By default, Discourse already unlists hidden posts but ONLY if nobody replied to them (that’s something quite rare, there will always be an underaged user that will reply cough cough). However, this MUST be a thing on ALL topics, it’s not acceptable anymore.

2 Likes

Absolutely! Yeah, I noticed this happening on some threads, but we need to roll this out to other ones - I think the incentive to meet the auto post quota really powers people to post even on threads that get deleted or unlisted. Very unhealthy culture!

2 Likes