Hide / collapse joints in animation editor

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to keep track of what I’m doing in the animation editor.

When I animate characters (walk cycles particularly) I will typically work on the legs first, make adjustments to bring movement into the rest of the body, and then make corrections to the legs afterwards so feet still plant on the floor.

Currently, I have to dig through a massive list of joints in my models to find the joints relevant to the legs I’m working on. In the animation below, I’ve finished animating the legs on one side of the body, and now I need to do the other side. I want to get the timing correct with offset symmetry (i.e. offset the left side cycle from the right side), but it’s difficult to see what I’m doing to select and offset the keyframes because the keyframes for the right side are always visible in the same space as the keyframes for the left side, and are staggered due to blender .R and .L naming conventions (necessary for modeling automation) so they’re not all in consecutive order in groups of left and right.

I want to be able to collapse the finished keyframes for the right side’s leg joints so I cannot see them or edit them, as well as collapse all of the joints that I don’t care about right now (i.e. body segments, wings). Then I can make easier selections on the timeline to adjust the offset of the walk cycle, and it will be easier for me to find joints in the list to select, since the selection boxes in the viewport all overlap and it’s mostly impossible for me to select the correct parts in the viewport.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would streamline my animation workflow.

4 Likes