Hide Instance.Archivable from the properties widget unless it is `false`

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to debug issues caused by Instance.Archivable. This is because it’s easy to accidentally set in the Properties widget, and has no indication that it was set. In the worst case, this property could cause large amounts of work to be lost with no indication beforehand.

I’ve ran into several instances of misclicking on Archivable and being confused as to why something was disappearing when I hit Play, and I know other people have had similiar issues. With that in mind, I’ve decided to formally request it:

Please hide Archivable from the Properties widget.

Given that it being false is the source of bugs, it would be preferable if it showed in the widget when it was false. This would make it clear why someone couldn’t, as an example, copy their character while testing. But, it would also prevent accidentally setting it.

If Roblox implemented this change, it would improve my life by preventing me from causing bugs that I have no way of debugging aside from knowing to check Archivable.

20 Likes

Archivable has practically no use-cases for being set from the properties widget unless it is to enable it for your own character for very specific debugging situations. I can think of no good reasons why I would ever want to explicitly disable it myself from the properties widget.

The very vast majority of the time it will be set or unset via a plugin or script, so leaving it in the properties widget as something you can disable by accidentally clicking 10 pixels too high or low on another property is a recipe for disaster and has proven itself to be one, especially for less experienced developers; this property name makes no sense and it’s easy for a new developer to disable it and forget about it, which would break their game when they try to publish.

9 Likes

If someone has a reason to still see Archivable in properties, perhaps a setting could be added for that. Otherwise it should be hidden or at least grayed out (like read only properties are) so that people don’t accidentally click it.

1 Like