High-Poly Medieval Bridge House

Hey all

Made another medieval house structure in a similar style to my previous post, could say this is a slight modification of it.

The 2 houses are connected with a walkable bridge in the middle, which is accessible through the doors on the sides of either of the houses.

For those curious, all of this was made by me in studio without the use of any external programs (other than just a few simple blender shapes from a kit), majority of this was achievable with just gapfill.

Always open for feedback, merci!

41 Likes

This looks amazing! the overall structure, style, colors and lighting bring it all together! I can’t believe this is Roblox, you did a splendid job!

7 Likes

Very nice!
Two questions:
How long did this take to build?
How many Parts and Unions are in this build?

6 Likes

At my current workflow speed it took about 2 - 2.5 days to complete.
It consists of 20,209 parts and 10 unions, the roof tiles were unions which I exported and re-imported as meshes to work with easier, in total there are however 88,626 instances.

Definitely not well optimized but this is solely to showcase, never to be actually used.
Surprisingly it doesn’t lag in-game.

4 Likes

Why so many Instances?
Meshes in Parts, or Lights, or Textures?

2 Likes

90% of the wood is textured, the bricks on the bottom base are meshes with slightly rounded edges + rooftiles (which too, are textured).

3 Likes

LOVE IT! 99999/10 stars! What program did you use to make this masterpiece?

4 Likes

Just Roblox studio with plugins.

4 Likes

Looks very good.
How much do these affect performance when looked upon? What about when moved as a model?
How do you handle character-environment scaling–how do you know how big a door should be and how tall a room should be?
How do you decide when a level of detail is acceptable–when is something okay being flat and when should something have more depth?

2 Likes

This Medieval Bridge House looks VERY good and realistic! I like the style and textures of it! Nice job on this!

3 Likes

Performance wise in-game it’s pretty smooth, little to no lag. Moving the model in studio is a different story however, highly laggy due to the amount of different components, hence I keep individual parts inside of several fractions of the build that are in the pivot of the model(s), that way I can copy the pivot position/orientation and move the model using only properties and no tools (=not laggy).

Pretty simple, just use a dummy rig and put it next to compare, as for different scaled avatars I make sure everything is just about tall enough to be proportionate when compared to the tallest possible scale setting.

In general this usually varies for me, for this build I made sure everything that was rather up-close to the player, would be more detailed, as you can see by all of the bricks on the groundbase of the structures. For things that would be less looked up-on I don’t put as much effort into, although not really the case here as every rooftile has its own unique orientation/rotation.
I’d say a lot varies on how optimized you want your build to be, I’m not planning on this being anything other than in a showcase so I go all out on detail and try to fill in every little space.

2 Likes

Wowzers that’s awesome, love all the details in it

3 Likes

Amazing creation! I love it!

But if you are looking for improvements, maybe you can change the wood planks pattern (in the 9th and 10th screenshots) to a more organic one?

3 Likes

I guess my biggest issue is the direction of the wood grain.
Wood grain IRL runs along the length of a board.
Many of the wood beams/planks etc. in your pictures has the grain running in the short directions.

2 Likes

OH MY GOD this is amazing, thank you for sharing, this looks so cool.

2 Likes