Highlight color darkened when transparent

Reproduction Steps

Add a highlight instance to a model/part with the transparency as for example, 0.5

Expected Behavior

I would expect the highlight to show the FillColor and not a darkened version of it. It is currently impossible to have a transparent white highlight that isn’t grey.

Actual Behavior

A fully white highlight with 0.5 fill transparency next to the same model with no highlight:

The change was made ~4 months ago if I recall correctly.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Display
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly

27 Likes

This just makes highlights look nasty. If a developer wanted the color to be darker they could’ve easily done it themselves, the FillColor property is there for a reason.

3 Likes

Really frustrating visual effect that ruins the look of Highlights in most situations, especially when tweening is involved. Hope this gets fixed soon.

No, this is literally bugged behavior. Why would they purposefully darken transparent highlights by 50%? It halves the amount of available colors. This is almost certainly a rendering issue.

2 Likes

It might just be the way the lighting effects the parts, and how highlights are not effected by lighting.

If you have a really bright reflective object, and you cover it up with a highlight(even if it’s mostly transparent), then you are blocking yourself from viewing all that reflected light from the object.

Thanks for the report! We’ll investigate.

3 Likes

Are there any updates on this? :grin:

1 Like

Just checking in once again, nearly half a year since this issue started happening.

1 Like

I’ve been dealing with the same issue. The model definitely shouldn’t get darker after applying transparency to the highlight. It reduces the practicality of highlights overall.

1 Like

This is 10000% a hack, not a proper fix but as a temporary solution for anyone looking, if you set highlight colours to anything greater than 255, the highlight will be brighter than what the current behaviour typically allows for.

Left is highlight with 510, 510, 510, .5 transparency
Middle is 255, 255, 255, .5 transparency
Right is no highlight

I think the “formula” to get it to work predictably would be to divide each R, G and B channels by the transparency. So if your highlight is transparency 0.5 and you want colour 255, 255, 255, you’d do 255 / 0.5 for each channel, thus giving you 510, 510, 510

5 Likes

Edit: sorry, please disregard my earlier post. I confused this issue with Highlight should render on Transparent BasePart.

1 Like

I think highlights have another problem.

local part = Instance.new("Part", workspace)
part.Anchored = true

local highlight = Instance.new("Highlight", workspace)
local anotherHighlight = Instance.new("Highlight", workspace)
anotherHighlight.Enabled = false
highlight.Adornee = part

for some reason this code doesn’t work in studio but in the roblox player it does.

1 Like

It’s annoying that this hasn’t been fixed yet :<

2 Likes

Bumping this, still not fixed after over a year.

2 Likes

It has been nearly 1.5 years since this started happening and over a year since this report was made, bumping this once again

1 Like

Bumping this again. This is actually really annoying.

2 Likes