Hinge constraints behaving very odd [Spazzing, Stuttering]

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

It is a turret setup, with two parts, the Turret base and the Barrel. Normally, they rotate just fine without any issue, but recently in a series of random parts they had been stuttering and spazzing a lot. This spazzing is enough to even adversely rotate the body it is located on.

It uses hinge constraints to allow for the rotation

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.

It seems to happen every time, despite changing a variety of properties (cancollide, collisionfidelity, rootpriority, etc). It is very odd in that it effects some parts while others that use the exact same system functions just fine

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.

It happens to a very specific parts regardless of what game it is in

I have a repro place that is unlocked

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

It started happening in the time range of roughly the past few days to around 2 weeks or so

2 Likes

I have a similar problem. Whenever the wheels have CanCollide on, the hinge constraints always make the vehicle bounce around.

This problem only appeared about two months ago, before that it was totally fine. I would like to see if anyone was having issues, but it might just be me.

Has this been solved at all? I’m having a similar issue with hinge constraints spazzing out for seemingly no reason. I’ve check and rechecked all the constraint settings and they are exactly the same on two other models. Yet this one model spazzes out. I even tried deleting everything welded to the core piece so that only 1 part was left. But it still spazzes out.

Update: It seems this behavior was stemming from the use of certain meshParts. Not every meshPart causes it but certain ones do. Idk if this is an issue with the meshpart’s mesh itself or how the constraints deal with them or both. I also noticed that cylindrical constraints were having issues with the same parts the hinges were. Hopefully this helps someone else having this issue.

I have done some turrets for my own games, for high speed applications, I found some luck making the parts massless.

1 Like