HintService (Archived) | Legacy hints reimagined, customizable, straight-forward, and simple

This is awesome! Gonna use it for my future games. Tysm :smile:

2 Likes

You know what I think would be fantastic for something like this?

The ability to stack a certain number of hints on top of each other, sort of like how Isle does it.

It prints hints in red text at the bottom of your screen that shows you what you did, what you’re not able to do, or that something is happening, and it stacks the messages if another one is already present in that spot to prevent this weird overlapping or having to wait until it goes away.

If this “service” had that mechanic, this would be 10x more useful imo.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I will take your feature request into consideration.

1 Like

I said that you should add connections to RBXScriptsignal, so like

part.Touched:Connect(newHint)

or

gui.MouseButton1Click:Connect(removeHint)
2 Likes

As a mostly UI designer, I won’t personally use this unless you eventually give us the opportunity of modifying the GUI. But for those of us who don’t value interface design so much this is absolutely great!

2 Likes

This actually looks surprisingly similar to something I made as a reply to another notification attempt two years ago.

However, this system wasn’t perfect and had some obvious drawbacks. Reading the code of yours and I can tell its way more better structured than this two year old resource. Good job! However, mine by default allowed hints that stacked, I know you mentioned this as a new feature coming but I don’t know if it has actually been implemented yet.

P.S. Don’t disallow whitespace, developers may find use out of this (unless your system isn’t built to stand whitespace). Whitespace is an easy way to go multi-line without having to span the entire screen’s width first.

2 Likes

You can already do that, just assign a function to the RBXScriptConnection then fire a remote if it is on the server, and create a new hint.

If you mean something like this: HintService.HintAdded:Connect(f) then I am implementing that with @stravant’s signal module.

My system does not support whitespaces, which I don’t think it will for a long time.

Update 1.2!

@Regenitical, @NinjaFurfante07, @Vyntrick, @d_ytme, @alexinite.

Features:

Hints will now stack automatically when new ones are added.

You can now change features around the text, eg: background color, corner radius, and border stroke.

You can now change text features, eg: text stroke, text colors, and editing.

Easily detect when a hint is added or removed with HintService.HintAdded and HintService.HintRemoving

Release notes:
Make sure to have an RBXScriptConnection above all .new() constructors to work properly.

2 Likes

Could we get a video of these new features?

1 Like

Update 1.3!

Features:

You can set the location of the hint, eg: Left, Center or Right, in the .new()

All hints now hide when the roblox game menu is opened.

A panel that allows the player to manage hints (coming soon.)

This would be great for subtitles tbh. I will most likely be using it! Also is it possible to list the API? That way people can know how to use it? Thanks!

Sure! I will work on the api today. I will PM you the docs.

1 Like

Hey Developers! HintService has not had an update for a while. Reply to this post telling me what feature you want added!

Hello, I just wanted to give a suggestion. You should add docs as that would make it a bit easier to tell us how to use this module. Also a code snippet using this module would help a ton while making a game using this (what can be modified and what it looks like in-game)

1 Like

I love how its like the old hints but modernized! I will probably use this

1 Like

Update 1.4 chugging along!

Features:

Ability to change/set tween properties to your liking.

Using a faster and newer version of @stravant’s signal implementation (GoodSignal implementation).

New Docs.

Set hint and text transparency.

Yielding thread is optional with hints (Hint:activateHint(yieldThread : boolean)) (This feature is already live)

*Hint .Changed event.

*Change font and font size.

(*) Means this feature could be coming next or later.

2 Likes

as of right now i don’t need it BUT maybe i will in the future great job

1 Like

Thank you, @teyougin!

I value your opinion, so is there any features that you would like added to this module for future use?

1 Like

Update 1.4!

Features:

Ability to change/set tween properties to your liking.

Using a faster and newer version of @stravant’s signal implementation (GoodSignal implementation).

New Docs.

Set hint and text transparency.

Yielding thread is optional with hints ( Hint:activateHint(yieldThread : boolean) ) (This feature is already live)

Hint .Changed event.

Change font and font size.