HintService (Archived) | Legacy hints reimagined, customizable, straight-forward, and simple

Sorry about that! Thats a mistake on my end. Try changing it to :broadcast()

That worked like a charm. Thank you! I will definitely consider using this system as it is pretty easy to use

I donā€™t want to do that because its deprecatedā€¦

Okay, seems like I found out another problem with this system. when I set the :broadcast() to true, it gives me this error:

1 Like

Thanks for the report! Will be fixing soon.

I know. This is just a bandaid solution for now.

1 Like

Should be fixed! You will be auto kicked from studio play testing when a new version is available.

1 Like

Hey, I figured it out! Thanks for not telling me because it felt nice to learn it by myself I shouldnā€™t have asked for an in-depth tutorial on remote events because thatā€™s not what this is about it about the module not how to use remote events and me asking you for the answers was not the right move I sometimes forget that the DevForum isnā€™t a place for all the answers itā€™s a place to learn how to get those answers on your own. Iā€™m going to delete the stuff thatā€™s taking up space on this post though.
Also love this, helps me so much with my games.

Thank you, Thothboy

1 Like

OK so it works perfectly and im implementing it into my game no problems with it but i get this error like should i ignore this or does it mean something.

Iā€™ll be looking into this, thanks!

1 Like

This looks quite good, but I wouldnā€™t use the API to replace the legacy ā€œHintā€ instance, I would rather use the system I made for simpler stuff like that. This is more of a ā€œstacked notification serviceā€.

You said to use the deprecated hint object for now, but you also said:

I think you should be a little clearer in the description.

1 Like

Great module, simple & easy to use. You should make a GitHub for this. I made some modification to the code and added the following:

• HintService.setMaxBroadcasts(number: number)
    Sets a maximum of broadcasts you can have at a time

• HintService.getCurrentBroadcasts() return: table
    Returns a table consisting of all the on-going broadcasts

• HintService.setDebounceEnabled(enabled: boolean)
    Enables debounce

• HintService.setDebounceTime(time: number)
    Sets a time for the debounce

If you could upload this to GitHub Iā€™ll make a pull request.

1 Like

Canā€™t replicate, code?

Could you also provide code?

Iā€™m using the standard example code

Iā€™m not too sure of how GitHub works. Iā€™ll definitely be implementing this, and your features.

Turns out :getHintLabel() wasnā€™t an added method and HintAdded and HintRemoving were returning hint labels instead of HintObjects. I fixed this including the changes above. I published the version 2.4.2 of this module on github as well as my commit. Here you can see my changes:

I recommend you google it, it is very easy to get started.

P.S:

Also for my own use, I removed this as I think it is bad practice:

However if you wish to keep that, make sure you wrap the marketplace service call in a pcall in case of errors.

1 Like

It is very easy to setup and it makes it very easy to keep track of issues, pull requests and source code. I created a GitHub for my own use but if you wish to approve my code and merge it let me know.

Update

I recently deployed an update. Thanks for your patience!

Read More

Attempt to index nil on playerGui on line 35

1 Like

Thanks for the bug report! Can you show me your code so I know what is wrong specifically?