[HitSquad] Amazing tech demo: Gui replication + streaming

This is going to be an amazing game. It absolutely is not fun yet and the creator herself also does not deny this. But if you think about this, this is quite amazing.

She created a way to replicate GUIs. Please note that it is a ScreenGui in Camera (it is local). The reason for this is that she streams the GUI terrain to the client. A global screen gui would work, but then you cannot stream (move the game camera accordingly over the screen gui) or you would have to create separate screens for everyone - and why would you do that? Those are not necessary to replicate.

So basically she created:

-A way to replicate GUIs between clients. She does this via a packet system. The style she does this is notable too: in eclipse with some amazing OOP that the regular roblox scripture doesn’t use.
-A way to stream the terrain to the clients. Using a lot of GUIs would create a lot of lag on the client. The client requests certain regions for the server to screen and the server acts accordingly. She says it can handle 25 million tiles without lag, but with using a lot of ram.

Amazing! Be sure to join with a friend though, otherwise it will look like a regular GUI.

Another amazing cool thing is that she can have more players on her server than the server limit allows. She will set the parent of the players to nil - but because it is a ScreenGui, the stuff will still be rendered!

Oooo yesss, doing it in realistic networking style!

This project is also opensource!

Neat.

Cries (like a lot)

Dang, that’s actually brilliant.

SOWEE

Cries (like a lot)

Dang, that’s actually brilliant.[/quote]

I didn’t intend this as “she was the first one” as I can never confirm such thing. It’s also not intended, it’s just a fact she created a way to replicate GUIs. Maybe your way is similar, maybe it’s not. I suggest that you two share some ideas on this topic, as this is extremely cool - it’s not like a regular 3D roblox game, but also not like a regular 2D roblox game.

Cries (like a lot)

Dang, that’s actually brilliant.[/quote]

I didn’t intend this as “she was the first one” as I can never confirm such thing. It’s also not intended, it’s just a fact she created a way to replicate GUIs. Maybe your way is similar, maybe it’s not. I suggest that you two share some ideas on this topic, as this is extremely cool - it’s not like a regular 3D roblox game, but also not like a regular 2D roblox game.[/quote]

Haha yeah, I was just joking around. Hers definitely looks better than mine… and who knows, maybe her GUI replication is better than my BindableEvent trickery (probably is) :stuck_out_tongue:

SOWEE[/quote]

Ah snap. I was going to do something like this. Guess I’m not the first anymore. xD

This is amazing! :woohoo:

[quote] This project is also opensource!

https://github.com/baklit/Everest2D [/quote]

Thank you for this. This could be very useful to me in the future.

I will admit that I can’t seem to understand your code - there’s some Lua in there that I have never seen before.

[quote] This project is also opensource!

https://github.com/baklit/Everest2D [/quote]

Thank you for this. This could be very useful to me in the future.

I will admit that I can’t seem to understand your code - there’s some Lua in there that I have never seen before.[/quote]

Probably the metatables. Metatables are really underestimated, especially on roblox. Most people think it is an esoteric thing, but it is absolutely not. Metatables are really powerful as they change the way your tables work. They can be used extremely easily to create your own classes with inheritance. Give it a try.

I should also take credit for the Eclipse Compiler; I made it so you can compile an Eclipse model into an RBXM, which is then used in the game. It’s a neat conversion, in fact.