[hitsquad] Creative, well-themed fighting game using latest APIs

This is my first multi-place game (a universe, per se) and I finally think it’s ready for this kind of attention. The reason I think it garners some interest is because it uses some of the latest APIs that ROBLOX has released, such as user animations, sounds, and universes. It also uses the new DataStore to help players keep track of their points and also have global leaderboards per level. It also includes some SurfaceGui stuff, but that’s kinda old at this point.

Another thing is, you don’t start with weapons in any of the levels – you have to make them from your surroundings. You craft your arsenal and use it to fight, and when you die, you lose everything and have to start again. Hailing to the original theme, the longer you stay alive the more points you get for a kill (and the longer the person you killed was alive, the more points also).

SCREENSHOTS!

Thus ends the first round of screenshots, which are kinda bad. Next ones I tried to make good:

An overview of the lobby, which comes complete with a crafting practice area so you know what you need to make in a game.

Some shots of “Sandstorm,” one of the four current maps in the game. Further maps are planned.

Some shots of “Nova” which occurs on a randomly generated map each new round of the deathmatch.

I wait for my fire to warm up on “Rugged,” a rocky valley level. Fires take 90 seconds to start but once started unlock more powerful crafting recipes.

I eat a healing poultice, made from wild herbs.

I’ve been made to bleed by someone wielding the most powerful current weapon, the iron sword; it is very difficult to make.

A scenic look at “Tropic,” the first level made for Survival: Arena.

Some shots of a newer level, “Lost,” which features a more vertical-oriented combat experience and a cluttered environment which makes for a ranged weapon hellbox.

I hope you think it’s interesting. I do. I think my infrastructure could be the future of combat games on ROBLOX. Another interesting thing I do with the system is upload a model which is my “source code” to ROBLOX. I then use the InsertService (not-so-new API but I don’t think anyone else does this?) to pull down and “unpack” the “source code.” It’s really interesting, and it allows me to abstractly update to each of my places simultaneously, simply by updating the model.

Enjoy trying it out and I hope it makes a blog post!

1 Like

Hmm needs default-on hint-popups (when near new stuff) for new players. Also as I was writing this it occured to me that I should have crafted my Club into something else before I left. I knew I was doing something wrong xD

What do you mean by automatic popups?

I guess the overall idea is that this game is (I hope I’m right in saying this) the first really put-together game that utilizes all of the tools available to developers.

While playing, I thought it a bit troublesome how you have to craft weapons as soon as possible if you join in the middle of the round. It’s rather difficult trying to craft something while being chased by other players after all. Which also brings up another problem, players can start running away if they have low health. While bows and throwing stones can help, it’s easy to dodge by strafing and jumping. Even more so if there is terrain in the way. The end result is it’s difficult to beat other players. I was also confused initially when I first joined. I find it easier to read instructions than to listen to them (although vocal instructions are pretty cool). Finally, it’s hard to tell which game map currently has players in it. It’s kinda boring to go to an empty map after all.

Other than that, I think it’s really cool. It has a nice and simple system that can be fun to play with. Trying to find different crafting recipes to obtain a variety of weapons is quite fun to play with, although I found that a wooden hammer is one of the easiest to make and quite powerful. It’d be awesome if there were even more recipes/materials to explore with in the future. I’ll also have to keep in mind the idea of using InsertService in case I ever make a game like this with multiple universes ^^

The sounds were also a nice addition. It seems like it took you a fair amount of tries to get them right, judging by your audio inventory. How did you get them and/or who recorded them? :­o

If this was a much bigger map with maybe a jungle-like thingy in it, it would much more give that survivalfeeling

[quote] While playing, I thought it a bit troublesome how you have to craft weapons as soon as possible if you join in the middle of the round. It’s rather difficult trying to craft something while being chased by other players after all. Which also brings up another problem, players can start running away if they have low health. While bows and throwing stones can help, it’s easy to dodge by strafing and jumping. Even more so if there is terrain in the way. The end result is it’s difficult to beat other players. I was also confused initially when I first joined. I find it easier to read instructions than to listen to them (although vocal instructions are pretty cool). Finally, it’s hard to tell which game map currently has players in it. It’s kinda boring to go to an empty map after all.

Other than that, I think it’s really cool. It has a nice and simple system that can be fun to play with. Trying to find different crafting recipes to obtain a variety of weapons is quite fun to play with, although I found that a wooden hammer is one of the easiest to make and quite powerful. It’d be awesome if there were even more recipes/materials to explore with in the future. I’ll also have to keep in mind the idea of using InsertService in case I ever make a game like this with multiple universes ^^

The sounds were also a nice addition. It seems like it took you a fair amount of tries to get them right, judging by your audio inventory. How did you get them and/or who recorded them? :­o [/quote]
Yes, I’m considering making throwing stones have either a much harsher slow or perhaps instead giving them an area of effect, or perhaps perhaps adding an easier way of crowd controlling at range. Thanks for the positive feedback, by the way, and I’ll try to address those issues (but an empty-map detector seems somewhat hard to do).

Also, the person who voiced it was my girlfriend, and yes, I had to do a few tries to get it to not sound bad. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow that was really fun. But like others were saying, I had a little difficulty trying to find out different recipes so I just looked up a guide online.

Oh and how do you mine stuff??

I just added a “Tips” sign to the lobby which tells some basic recipes. Also, there are specific boulders you can find in each of the maps can be hit with a pickaxe for iron ore.

Updated the spoiler to include screenshots of my latest level, “Lost.”

So I’ve still been working on this game, adding more levels and more game modes. I recently added a game-mode in which you survive against the elements (instead of each other). It’s a callback to my old games, what they used to be.

Also added in a level with AI wolves that you can hunt. They use my raycasting grid generator so they don’t run into crap when they’re wandering around.