Horizontal scroll w/ mouse wheel breaks camera zoom and instead tilts camera

Putting in my contribution to the eternally unfixed but extremely annoying bug.

Games that emulate modern FPS controls will bind CTRL to crouch, and will often use the scroll wheel to switch weapons. Guess how many times players need to switch weapons while crouching behind cover?

3 Likes

such as islands and bedwars? where control is for camera lock.

2 Likes

Sure I guess? I don’t actually play those two, but the point still stands that this is a bug that’s very easily replicated on purpose or by accident, was first reported almost two years ago, and adversely affects the player’s experience. It’s absurd that it’s been unresolved for so long.

2 Likes

Bumping again, issue seems to derive from the ctrl button for some reason since when I hold it then scroll then release and keep scrolling it appears to start the issue. This is really annoying for games that bind certain actions to ctrl.

3 Likes

Still going on, wow, I really hope this will be changed.

3 Likes

I’ve just come across this bug in 2021. My mouse doesn’t scroll sideways, so I’m not sure how I managed to get this to happen to me. Either way, this tilting function needs to be removed or fixed.

2 Likes

Today’s Roblox update Release 502 includes this:

This sounds like it’s probably a fix for this bug. Can anyone confirm?

Turns out it’s not. Disappointing.

7 Likes

So, I’ve had the sudden realization that this bug might only occur when a controller is plugged in.

When I unplugged my XB360 Guitar Hero controller, I stopped getting the camera bug. (The bug might perhaps even only occur when a button or a joystick is being constantly held down, because my GH controller’s whammy bar constantly keeps the right joystick held at an angle while it’s at rest.)

I can try testing this out later and seeing if I can consistently replicate the bug with a controller.

Can anyone say for certain that they’ve seen this bug without a controller plugged in?

2 Likes

Can we pleeeeease get this fixed?

It’s definitely related to the latest camera system as Jailbreak used to not have this issue until we finally updated our camera scripts this past week. I’ve also noticed that holding Shift? (maybe it was control) spins the camera on another axis. So this might be an intentional feature but it’s awful not being able to zoom in our out from your character, vehicle, etc.

8 Likes

No, I always experience this with anything (but mostly with my mouse)
Usually, it happens to me in games that want you to press control or shift or both. Due to that, this issue happens to me in games like Voxel Craft and BedWars.

You can fix the problem by leaving the game. (which should not be an option because of how absurd it sounds)

Even if you get teleported to another place/game while still in the Roblox Player the problem will still persist.

I have seen some games that counter this issue somehow, though.

3 Likes

If any of you are experiencing this problem, I believe I have discovered a solution for when this bug occurs unexpectedly.

1. Turn off your Roblox game.
  2. Open Task Manager and look for any background Roblox processes; you must terminate them entirely because resuming a game will not shut the client.

This should resolve the scrolling problem, as it did for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reports, everyone! We are currently investigating this issue with the software engineers, and will come back with updates on it. We will try to find a solution as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding!

12 Likes

Hello, everyone!
We have some new updates! There’s a two part solution to this bug; good news is we’ve rolled back a flag to fix the windows issue.
The issue on mac issue is still being worked on but we will provide an update when it’s resolved.
Thanks for your patience!

14 Likes

Actually, you can just leave the game and then it will fix itself. (it does for me)
However, my main problem is that I don’t want to leave the game.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s kind of what I was explaining, leaving the game will close any background roblox client processes, therefore fixing the issue.

2 Likes

Bump. It still happens and is incredibly annoying, but I think I found a workaround for some games

For Roblox BedWars:

Use the Guided Missile. After you’re done using the Guided Missile, the bug should be reverted.

If you get the bug again, then just use the Guided Missile again and then it should be reverted. Sorry Players who use Ranked Mode, but you’re out of luck :sweat_smile:

For Roblox High School 2:

Simply enter and exit the Avatar edit and the problem will fix itself. If it happens again, enter and exit the avatar editor again.

If I find any other workarounds for the glitch, I will update this reply.

For Jailbreak:

1. Hop in a car
  2. Go to settings and make sure that the Vehicle Camera Follows is toggled as enabled.
4 Likes

cannot reproduce it, tried on various games (bedwars, starscape, etc.)

used zoom in/out on trackpad and command key (on mac) and control (also mac)

1 Like

To my knowledge, it doesn’t happen to everyone. And to the people that it does happen to, it happens randomly after pressing the trigger buttons or holding them a few times.

Or they probably just fixed it. Because it’s been a while since I experienced this issue again.

2 Likes

hmm…
maybe in bedwars they implemented the fix @rickje139 made

3 Likes

Just use the Guided Missile. It will reset your camera.

1 Like