Horrific Looking Trail - No Idea How To Fix It

Hello all,

I’ve recently set about making staffs for my game. On of my staffs has a trail that is behaving strangely.
TrailError1
TrailError2

The trail seems to be attaching itself to a certain point and then not moving from it, always maintaining a straight line. I would rather have it behave much more organically, following the staff around like you would see in games like this one.

Does anyone know what I can do? TextureMode is set to wrap. (btw I made the trail super long so that you can see the problem)

You’ve beaten me. I’ve followed all the steps of recreation and everything worked fine. Closest I got was this

Which is a result of placing an attachment on a part that isnt part of it.

However, this doesnt match up perfectly, if this isnt the issue please send me a screenshot of the attachment points for your tool and your workspace view of that tool, so I can better recreate it.

I’m no professional at using trails or effects, but after thinking for some time I find it possible that they were creating parts behind the player and connecting trails between those parts. I’m not sure if that’s the case but you never know until you give it a try. I’ll edit this post with an image when I finish working on it.

the trail is only straight because you’re walking in a straight line. If you want it to wobble back and forth as you walk, you could try putting an animation on the player where their arm moves a lot, wobbling the staff and making the trail bendy. Or you could try setting the origin of the staff to a loose part which is connected via constraints in a way that it moves about as you walk.

No, wherever I move, the trail always keeps a straight line. Whenever the trail’s lifetime is complete, it just starts all over again - instantly creating point and then keeping the trail in between the two points

TrailError3

Also, there are the attachments

That’s really odd, I can’t think why that would be happening. Could you try recreating the trail from scratch and seeing if that fixed anything?

Could you try sending a video of it? Also try face camera and see if it changes anything.

It might’ve been obvious but just to make sure

Are you sure you’re using a trail and not a beam? If its absolutely a trail and you’re attaching both points on the weapon itself, it might be a visual bug (though take this with MANY boulders of salt.)

It also could have something to do with the lifetime of the trail

This issue has been fixed, the Min length on the trail needed to be set to 0