Horror Game Feedback

Hey developers!

I am working on a mini project, called ‘The Follower’ (subject to change).

Although not my first project, it is my first proper horror game I have ever worked on, if you don’t count a piggy-styled game.

I do not have a map made, nor have I made any fundamentals to the game, such as AI, jumpscares, map selection etc.

Right now, I have assembled the basic version of the menu screen, the flashlight feature, and a ‘realistic’ first person system, along with a couple of animations. My goal with this project is just to make a game that can potentially project a horror theme, and with enough hard work, I am sure I can do it. However, building the map(s) will be a challenge, as I lack the knowledge on how to properly build.

Basic aim of the game:

The aim of the game is merely to find pages across a maze-like map, whilst also avoiding something called the ‘entity’. It’s basic and a bit cliché, I know, but this is my first horror project, so it’ll do for me.

Quick look at the game:

I have provided a quick snippet as to what the menu GUI looks like.

Video

(Ignore ‘fnaf exploration’, it isn’t relevant to the game)

Finally, I would absolutely LOVE some feedback. This can range from features to include in the game, opinions on the aim of the game, how I can improve UI etc.

Have a great day!

5 Likes

Firstly I have to get offline soon so I’ll leave a review on the actual concept & possible features tomorrow, for now though I’ll mention the UI:

• Consider using a unique font for the title ‘The Follower’, perhaps a third-party graphic design, this way a more recognisable/memorable logo is created.

• Here, you use ‘-’ but text is not aligned, a bit of a confusing style, so set TextXAlignment to ‘Left’. Also, I’d move the [X] inside of the main frame to keep it organised.

• I like the animation of the GUI sliding out & the mouse hover size increase :+1:

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the feedback.

I agree with you on the text alignment, I’ll implement it when I can!

:grin:

2 Likes

Np :slight_smile:
I think the concept sounds good as you mentioned it is a mini project rather than an elaborate game, as well as your first horror project, so yes in this case it’s better to try something not-so-ambitious, so the concept is good.

So, features you could include could be perhaps similar to Slenderman games, where with each page you collect the ‘entity’ will become more aggressive toward the player. Also, I think if you die then your page progression resets, so the game doesn’t end too quickly :+1:

Good luck with development! Send me a PM when you get into an open alpha/beta or when it releases, I’m a big fan of horror games.

1 Like

Of course! Always nice to know there is someone willing to test a game out, thanks!

1 Like

What do you mean by AI? Is it the thing that follows you In game?

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I do mean a figure that follows you around using AI Pathfinding.