Horror Game Suggestions

I want to make a horror game that focuses on sound. I’m not sure how I would make an idea that doesn’t seem like every other horror game in existence (something is chasing you and you have to escape.) An y ideas on how to make a unique game?

Instead of monsters, make objects that walk (I made a walking grandfather clock). I think everyone is used to monsters, so make scary stuff that isn’t monsters.

1 Like

I think that objects walking would just be funny. It will not be scary.

My recommendation on making a horror game is to definitely fork with lighting settings to make the environment feel gloomy, especially the use of fog. It’ll give players an unsettling horror game feel, especially if your horror game consists of dark objects.

1 Like

Good idea. I’m not sure where to set the game though.

Since you want to make a horror game that focuses on sound, you should try doing a dark cave, or perhaps a closed, not so spacious environment that could allow you to use EchoSoundEffect. It’s up to you though!

In order to make a horror game you need to make sure the players have a sense of unease for the majority of the time while playing. Before making a horror game I recommend you do research by watching horror movies and playing horror games. There are 4 very major things that make horror games important. These are unease, sound, chaser, and jumpscares. How do you unease a player? You want them to question playing your game. The surroundings should be disturbing or creepy in a way. Maybe creepy messages scratched on the walls. The second thing is sound. There should not be joyful music. Happy music is different. For example a doll singing. It is happy but they sing in a creepy way. Lets say there is a monster. You might be able to hear their footsteps as they near. Side Note: Your monster should look scary if you have one. You need to have a chaser. Its what makes a game truly scary. Maybe a man with a knife, or a disgusting beast. This brings us to my final point. Jumpscares are something I think is important. If the player is caught by the chaser they should be jumpscared. This would make players try and escape them. If your not using a chaser in a certain style where this would work, then something as simple as a plank of wood will get a players heart beating if done correctly. I really recommend doing research on what causes fear, and watching/playing horror games or movies. I could cover much more but I think it is best for you to do your own research.

2 Likes

If you are trying to make a unique game make the goals different. There isnt much I can think of about chasers. Another way to make it unique is what the chaser does and how their AI works. Slenderman was unique because you couldnt look at him. Maybe the chaser will have a backstory. Maybe they will have a child in hidden lore. Maybe there are items around, that if you pick up they will be much harder to escape and maybe even a more intense jumpscare. You would have to think of something else like this on your own.

I added a color correction to lighting in workspace, then set the color correction’s brightness to -2. I think that walking objects are scary if you make them make noises (my clock made clock sounds), and if they are dark. I think this because things that are out of place are scary (that’s what makes dolls in a horror environment scary, their being out of place). That’s just my opinion.

I think your clock idea is good. Am I allowed to use the idea in my game?

Sure, I doubt I’m the first, anyways.