Horror SFX: What's Best for a Monster?

What makes a good game? Sounds, of course! Try playing a horror game with sound muted, it takes a lot away from the game.
In some horror games, the monster has some sort of sound, to alert players of its location, and to make the game more interesting for both parties. I’m here asking what sounds you prefer monsters to have.

• Creepy Music
  • Creepy Ambient
  • Footsteps
  • Other [List in replies]

0 voters

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Have a great day! :grin:

2 Likes

If your wondering what you should add for your Horror game, I would recommend searching up a scary movie of such sort, take their monster sounds, and put them into your game. Though this is by far the simplest idea I could think of, it’s also the easiest.

Pretty sure you would get copyrighted. I’m asking what sounds people prefer, not how to get them.

1 Like

You can’t take others music, as it is wrong. I suggest taking some time to educate yourself on copyright, and it’s respective laws.

1 Like

I see. If your wondering what sounds people prefer, most people would prefer the sudden blast of loud, horror type music, or sound. It’s the best way to scare others.

1 Like

Creepy music makes it cheesy
Footsteps won’t give any sense of dread
Creepy Ambience should give you the upperhand.

2 Likes

All of the above, you just need to execute the sounds in a specific method. Artistically, it is up to you. I really wonder why I started to do sound design earlier and the results are satisfying(which is ironic).

I’ve been making ambiences for a while. You can track my designs and updates here:

1 Like

I don’t know why, but hearing someone crying always creeps me out. I subconsciously ask myself questions,

• Are they crying because they’re in pain?
  • Are they crying because they’re lost?
  • Are they crying because they know It’s hopeless?
  • Are they crying because THEY are the monster against their own will?
  • Are they crying because they lost a loved one?
  • why? WHY? WHY? WHY?

I don’t play horror games, but I watch Flamingo play them and that’s what I feel when I watch them.

2 Likes

If you can’t get a good horror ambient, get like a wind sound, make the playbackspeed like 0.5, add a pitch and equalizer, play around until its legitimately scary.

2 Likes

Creepy ambience and music would suit more for a ghost or a spirit like thing. Footsteps, especially if the player is alone, would fit for a monster.

2 Likes

Ambience + Random Sounds (to break the silence) is going to scare me alot

1 Like

The unknown scares us. Maybe you should try choosing a sound unique to your monster. It would be mysterious and instantly recognizable as yours.

2 Likes

I moved the category to #help-and-feedback:art-design-support, since it was covering more sound design technicality.

1 Like