How are games with large things players save (such as a house) set up?

I’m trying to make a game where players can buy a house and put furniture and things like that inside of it. Players can also choose which plot of land they can put their house on. I want to let the players save their progress. I’ve thought of some problems though.

What if this specific plot of land is a popular choice? Would no one be able to join the same server?

What if two friends buy the same plot of land on different servers and try to join each other?

Stuff like this makes me want to know how other games do it. I don’t know a lot about how servers work. Any ideas/help would be awesome.

If your new to game development I recommend you start simpler because creating a game like that will require more experience, however, here is a thread that explains placement systems Creating A Furniture Placement System.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice!

After I read that, I don’t know how, but the perfect idea popped into my head.

What if I gave the illusion that players built their own home where ever they wanted? So, this game I’m making takes place in a city. What if I made some sort of teleportation system where the player boards a subway, chooses which player’s home they want to visit, and when they select it, they’re just teleported to some indoor space?

I don’t really know how to explain it. But thanks for the link, I believe it helped this idea form in my brain.