How can I create Realistic Sinking

Hello Developers.

As I’m working on my game, I’ve realized that I wanted to achieve something that isn’t simple. Which is a sinking module. This idea came from the game Ship crash physics - Roblox by INGameWorks Studio. As what I would want / would like to base my phyiscs off of.

What I want to achieve is a realistic boat sinking system. Being able to detect which part is missing and base the boats sinking side off that destroyed part. (I don’t know if I explained that correctly or not). I want to base it like Ship crash physics. Steps on how to do it or the entire module would be helpful.

Thank You.

6 Likes

Are you trying to do this with Terrain Water, or with ‘water’ Parts?

If you do it with Terrain Water you could have the underwater Parts have a Density smaller than 1 so they float and support the boat. Then have the parts above the water and need to be supported have a Density greater than 1.
To counteract the top heavy condition this creates you can have a single Part with a high Density (basically a keel) that’s Transparent and CanCollide off welded to a main part of the ship but way below the waterline so it stabilizes the ship when the bouyant parts are missing.

3 Likes

Would that also work if the water is a part itself?

Also. My Boat Is scripted like a car. I don’t use any sort of special forces I only wheels I call motors and etc…

That’s why I said “If you do it with Terrain Water”.
No, you’d have to script it to sink, but the issue you are going to have is that if you have wheels driving your boat then as soon as Parts are removed and it starts sinking your wheels are going to have to be aligned to make the boat appear to tilt and sink.

I guess you could set up a car type system that drives on the water Part. You could have that water Part in a Collision Group that only collides with the car wheels allowing the boat and players to drop through it. Then you could suspend the boat from the car with SpringConstraints, RopeConstraints, or PrismaticConstraints and script it so that the length of the Constraints gets longer when more boat Parts are missing, making the boat ‘sink’.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.