How can I get all material variants of a given material?

All necessary information is in the title, i simply want to have a function that returns all material variants of a given material. The issue is that I cant find any documentation on how to do this. I know there is a function that gets a specific material variant, but not by index or number. If i can get them by index that would still help tremendously
I am doing this for a plugin that generates houses to accelerate the building process of games, but I want users to be able to use their own material variants in it. I already have a color picker that I’ve created, which is far better than the native studio one, but I am still struggling with the materials.

1 Like

MaterialVariants are stored in the Service of the same name, so iterate through them and categorize them based on their BaseMaterial property

edit: some documentation MaterialVariant | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

I think you are misunderstanding the question. I know that each material variant has its base material stored, but I am not aware of any way to get material variants that isn’t by name. I don’t want the user to have to put in the name of each material variant, i just want it to show up there without any input.

Like this?

local Table = {}
for Index, WhichEnum in pairs(Enum.Material:GetEnumItems()) do
    table.insert(Table, WhichEnum.Name)
end

EDIT: Pretty sure I’m incorrect

1 Like

this gets all of the base materials, but it doesnt get material variants. I’m starting to wonder if there just isnt a way to get them

i didnt misunderstand anything, what im advising is how you do that. you iterate through all materialvariants stored inside MaterialService and categorize them based on their base material

example:

local allVariants = {}
for i, material in game:GetService("MaterialService"):GetDescendants()) do
  if material:IsA("MaterialVariant") then
  if not allVariants[material.BaseMaterial] then allVariants[material.BaseMaterial] = {} end
table.insert(allVariants[material.BaseMaterial], material)
  end
end
1 Like

omg i didnt know that material variants are stored in material service. I’ll try that and get back to you
(also sorry for wasting extra time)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.