How can I get good at building in Roblox Studio

Hello guys, I’m pretty decent at modeling but I wanna advanced it and make it look better.
I know that there’s blender but I don’t think that my laptop would handle blender. So I wanna know how can I get better at modeling or building without using blender.

3 Likes

The only ways to improve your skills in the field of modeling and building in Roblox Studio is to watch some tutorials(Videos about building tips: Plugins, Unions, meshes, etc.) and simply practice.

2 Likes

Probably try playing with lighting, learn the shortcuts and try to Practice more maybe, I’m the same as you, bud.

I am also at this stage not a good builder because of my issues, so just keep pushing through.

I usually look around, or go outside to check buildings out, build em, or play some games for some building ideas. Other than that just practice practice practice.

The only way is to get lots of motivation, then you will end up absolutely sweating at building. Also, learning about lighting and color palettes will help you.

Before I had motivation, 7 October 2020:

After getting the motivation to improve, 18 October 2020:

Motivation is everything. You notice how much I improved in 11 days? That could be you with lots of motivation as well.

2 Likes

Building isn’t something like scripting where you just copy codes or script then change something to let it improve or not malfunction and getting the tips by pros to do this and that. Unlike, building or modeling, you need 3 things which are;
1.) Reference
2.) Techniques and Tricks
3.) Motivation is also one but I replace it with Time Management.

You might need references to the mesh (I prefer mesh instead of objects or things) you are modeling or building, take note that you are collecting ideas and not copying the main idea itself. A good example is mixing all the references to have a good profuct.

To ease your working time, you need techniques and tricks of course (both are different), watch youtube for Techniques (such as how to move easily, how to rotate, etc.), and view forums here in Devforum for Tricks (such as ctrl + d is better that copy + c & v, q and e will move you north or south in Roblox Studio, and many more). Plugins will also ease your modeling and building.

Lastly, Time Management is the key to get your work done easily and efficiently. Although, it’s a little bit same as motivation but motivation can only be in a span of time before it wores out, resulting to demotivation.

Hope I helped.

1 Like

Don’t think? Download it and test. I have a terrible laptop and couldn’t run Blender 2.9, so I downloaded 2.8 instead. It’s basically the same thing. If that doesn’t work, download the version below, so fourth.

However, I tell you now - Blender has by far the biggest learning curve you will ever experience in your life. It’s best to start learning and building muscle memory earlier, so you won’t have to experience it later on. It’s worth it, I’m saying this from experience.

1 Like

Just use plugins, unions and meshes.

1 Like

I would say do small projects and practice theres no real way to get good in 5 minutes.

Unions are kinda bad because of the amount of triangles they produce meshes are the best option.

2 Likes

Practice. When I started building in Roblox Studio, I was bad. I started to practice building and made some buildings, houses, chairs, etc. Then, when it came to building for a game, I used all of my memory from what I’ve done and added it to my builds. Practice makes perfect.

1 Like

Unions also bug out terribly at random places. There are ways to tell if what you plan on doing will cause a union glitch but it’s more intuition than something that can be explained. Unless I had NO other option, I would try using 4-5 parts instead of a union.

1 Like

For using blender, I suggest starting off with Blender Version 2.79 . My reason is that, it has a feeling like Roblox Studio and it’s quite simple to use. I use Blender 2.90 now since it has better tools, etc but if you want to get into 3d Modeling again, I suggest to start off with blender [2.79] then 2.90, etc. Also look at Youtube for tricks and tips!

I only started using blender about 3 months ago and I’m not going to call myself great but I think I’m decent at it.

Have you tried downloading blender to see if your laptop can handle it? Having a 3D modeling software, isn’t always needed if you’re planning on making more easy builds something that wouldn’t need to be produced in a software. However, it’s a great program to learn as it’s a free alternative.

On a note this is kind of a repetitive topic that should be searched before posting. If you’re wanting to get better at building, just practice and start building as that’s the only way you will learn. Consider focusing on something you’re most interested in picking a style and have a few images and resources bookmarked by your side.

While using roblox studio you will learn a lot alone but for more advanced and better knowledge you can use some tutorials there are tons of them on yt. (I learned a lot from just watching dev streams and just watching how they do stuff just keep that in mind).

Speed builds, constantly looking at showcases.

Its Cliché but seriously just practicing and having patience with your builds and putting in the time and effort to get better such as watching videos on Youtube about it.
Some tips for you are.
1.) Use Plugins
2.) Pick the right lighting depending on the atmosphere
3.) Have patience with your builds even if you have to come back the next day
4.) Organize your work it gives you a good reputation and makes it easier for your future clients.

I have a tip. Make sure that when scaling it’s either free or 0.1 stud difference per movement. It’ll make your life easier, trust me.

1 Like