How can I get the asset ID of a group's icon with API?

Hello, I was looking for a way to get to get the asset ID of any group’s icon, in order to fetch the image with its original resolution.

I searched around and found these:

1. GroupService:GetGroupInfoAsync()
  2. thumbnails.roblox.com (under GroupEmblem)
  3. api.roblox.com/groups/{groupId} (HTTP 404)

The first only works on Roblox, I’m looking for an endpoint that provides that info.
The second returns the URL of the icon’s file with a given resolution (thumbnail), and doesn’t provide an asset ID.
The third previously returned the info I needed but that method no longer works.

I also looked up the Groups API but I couldn’t find any methods that provide the asset ID of the icon.

Any help will be appreciated.

1 Like

Hello, when creating a group on Roblox the icon is separate meaning you can’t use an image from the Roblox library for your icon and you can only put add an icon on a group through a file on your PC. So, getting the icon of a group can only be done by copying the image.

When a group is created (or changes icon), the icon selected is uploaded to Roblox, and an asset ID is assigned to it. The asset ID can be retrieved using the first method I mentioned before (GroupService).
For example: this group (ID 1), has currently this icon (asset ID visible in the URL).

The icon displayed on the site is a thumbnail, with a different resolution than the original file. If you have the asset ID, you can fetch the original file.

Try this.

curl -X 'GET' \
  'https://thumbnails.roblox.com/v1/groups/icons?groupIds=1&size=150x150&format=Png&isCircular=false' \
  -H 'accept: application/json'

I already mentioned that endpoint in the second method, but that doesn’t provide the asset ID of the icon.
As I said in my previous reply:

thumbnails.roblox.com returns the file of the thumbnail, not the file of the original image.

1 Like

I’m sorry to say that there is currently no API that allows you to get the asset ID of a group’s icon. However, you may be able to find a workaround.

You can use the GroupService:GetGroupInfoAsync() method to get the group’s icon URL. With this URL, you can attempt to parse it to get the asset ID. This may not be reliable since the URL may change, but it’s worth a shot.

Alternatively, you could try contacting Roblox’s Support team and asking them if there is any way to get the asset ID of a group’s icon. They may be able to provide some help.

I hope this information helps!

id in EmblemUrl from https://groups.roblox.com/v0/groups/1

This endpoint is deprecated but as the game engine uses it, I doubt it’ll be removed anytime soon.

2 Likes

I knew v0 did something, but nothing was written in the documentation…
Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.