How can I improve my first low poly house?

This is my first ever low-poly build. What can I do to improve it?

Thanks for reading!

6 Likes

Try to add some bevels, make the colors less bland, and maybe a chimney. Decorations like bushes (Or if this is for the holidays, icicles) make the build more alive. Plus, everything is too perfect, try messing with rotations to give it a cartoony look.

2 Likes

Add some sticking out bricks like this:

Use some brighter colours.

Add more detail to the roof.

Include the outside of the house, such as paths, gardens, bushes or trees.

Add detail to the sides and back of the house.

Make the shape of the house more intricate, rather than just having a cuboid.

Hope this helps! :smiley:

2 Likes

Clarification

I’m just going to clarify one detail out. I know for most people, whenever they hear low poly, they immediately think the build should have no textures and stuffs like that. But it’s suppose to mean low polygon count. A low poly build should have visible smooth curves sticking around. I would suggest using bunch of triangle parts, I saw that door which should bother much people out, it has a curve on top which completely annihilates the concept of low poly. Just change that into a more blocky door. Just a regular rectangular door.

Suggestion

So I would suggest adding a part on the roof which should separate the whole body of the house from the roof itself. This would give variations to the house.

Take that image as an example. I know the roof have textures and stuffs, but try to ignore that here, you can see how the roof is distinguishable from the whole house.

Other suggestions would be to level the windows to the door. This would just give more sense to the house, and I’m assuming from the size of the door, your house is too tall for a single level house. Also few suggestions, fix bits of details on the sides of each corners. Some are a bit too broad, some are a bit too thin. The windows has a broad frame, the door has a very thin frame. Make sure both of those key components have similar frame thickness. Other than that, add more windows around the house. That’s just some of the things I would suggest. I have more to suggest, but I won’t include them in this reply, it’s long enough the way it is right now. Good job on your first low poly house though :smile:

I think, personally, you could improve the roof. Make it stick out a bit more (front and back sides), and maybe make a better door. And add some different colors, and texture the roof a bit.

:slight_smile: