How can I improve on this terrain?

Im trying to make something akin to this picture:

Using the terrain tool and roblox’s generative AI materials, I’ve been able to create this:

The shape of the terrain has character, but the whole thing just looks super dark and bland.

The materials generated by the AI also dont appear to have any normal data, creating this flat/smooth looking texture.

What can I do to improve this? I plan on potentially littering the hills in a few boulder meshes, but I dont think that lack of detail is the only problem here. What do you guys think I should do with this?

3 Likes

This is a video that could be helpful. Link
I’m not a modeler and don’t do realistic so I don’t know much.

2 Likes

This terrain looks good so far. Add more texture to it and little bushes and dry plants. Nice job on it so far!

2 Likes

I have applied the feedback above to the scene, as well as tweaked a few lighting properties:

If anyone has any more feedback to offer, I’d love to hear it!

4 Likes

I would say that the following image you are trying to recreate, drag it to the side of your screen and use the sculpting option to improve it and you can also paint the edges of the terrain with a different material and smoothen the terrain to make it look realistic, adding some sun rays and paying attention to detail may at least help you with what you are trying to achieve.

1 Like

It looks much better now. I would recommend that you make the rocks in the background more realistic.

Roblox just came out with a new race template. They did some cool things with the mountains in it. All terrain based. Kind of looks a bit like what you’re looking to do here. You may want to take a look at it.

Wow! This actually looks incredible! Props to you!