How can I make a good looking lobby?

Hello, developers.

I am currently creating an obby game and I need help thinking on what could be added on the lobby.

5 Likes

Maybe you should make a lobby with some pictures and calm colors. Also make sure to make it look smooth.

Hey developer! Honestly, the look of an obby’s lobby comes down to what your games vibe/atmosphere is all about but you could definitely break it down into a couple factors. These aren’t all of them though.

THE VIBE
The initiator of almost everything, what’s the obby all about? Is it going to be based in a house, someone’s mouth, or a book? This info is important into figuring out what you wanna add into it. For example, if you have an obby based in someone’s lunch box and your lobby has a theme of computers then that’s not consistent. But sometimes (/mostly) there are obby’s that don’t really have a specific theme, the lobby’s are often pretty simple.

STORY
Most obby games on roblox don’t really have stories to them, but some do. And when they do, they usually make it clear what kind of character you are inside the game. For example, in “BARRY’S PRISON RUN!” they start you off in a jail cell, trying to get through the obby while also avoiding a cop. It makes it pretty obvious your some kind of criminal. If you want to make that known to the player, you could make the lobby (the place the player spawns in) have certain objects that could indicate what kind of character they are in a story.

GAMEPASSES
Most obby’s tend to have some kind of advertising inside the lobby. Like “Rainbow Trail” or a hoverboard, etc etc. Some of them even include some admin perks at the beginning of the obby as gamepasses. Plus, some advertise themselves too (ex: “make sure to like the game!”)

REFERENCES
Try to check out other obby’s lobbys that are successful. Make sure to at least explore some that are kinda similar to what your going for. And from there you can figure out what you want.

Also, making a list on what you don’t want to add to your game could narrow down on what you could add to your lobby. Like maybe you don’t want your obby to be too story-based and just want it to at least have a consistent and appropriate theme; so you just settle on a lobby surrounding that theme. Or you really want your obby to be story based but not really theme-y so you try to put your player in a lobby that’s relevant to the story.

Some other tips too: making sure the colors don’t clash is a good start to making the lobby look good. Also, don’t go overboard with adding way too much to your lobby, keeping it simple is usually the best way to go.

This was probably a long read but I hope it was helpful!

6 Likes

I would recommend you to take reference from games like “Difficulty chart” their lobbies even if they are “simple” they have a good design or if you want to be a bit more advanced you could take inspiration from JToH or CSCD lobbies.

References

and about what you could add… idk lol maybe the leaderboard, donation, obby practice and a relax zone

2 Likes