How can I make a math system like this?

Hey guys, I came on here today to ask how I can make a system like below.

(MAINLY THE EQUATION PART AT THE TOP)

5 Likes
local numberA = math.random(0, 10)
local numberB = math.random(0, 10)

local answer = numberA + numberB

Pretty simple

3 Likes

oh wow. How would I make the parts at the bottom tho. Like the only the correct answer will show
the wrong answers will go away (on the block) (so they fall and die) if this all makes sense yk

2 Likes

if you dont understand how i explained it about the blocks u can watch the vid

1 Like

you can loop through the floor pieces or a table containing the numbers
example:

local a = 1 + 1 -- 2
for _, piece in floorPieces do
   if tonumber(piece.Name) ~= a then -- assuming the pieces are named after the numbers
      piece.CanCollide = false -- make it uncollidable
   end
end
4 Likes

hmm, ok ill try it out ty yall!

1 Like

Just name to all the blocks with their respective number.

Then just go through all the blocks under a folder, preferably Blocks and do a check:

local numberA = math.random(0, 10)
local numberB = math.random(0, 10)

task.wait(ROUND_TIME)

for _, block in Blocks:GetChildren() do
    block.CanCollide = (tonumber(block.Name) == answer)
end
3 Likes

do you think you can explain what this line means?

local canCollide = tonumber(block.Name) == answer
1 Like

canCollide is a variable. Specifically, it’s a conditional. We know this because of the distinct ==. It’s checking whether or not tonumber(block.Name) is equal to answer. If it is equal to it, then it will return true and canCollide will be true. If it is not equal, then it will return false and canCollide will be false.
So, if the number selected and the block’s number are equal, you can collide with it and stand on it. But if not, you can’t.
tonumber() simply converts something into a number. block.Name is naturally a string because it is a name, so we need to convert it into a number to check if it is equal to another number.

2 Likes

It basically outputs true if the name of the block converted to a number is equal to the answer and false if otherwise. You can think of it like this, @NotPerplexedlul

if tonumber(block.Name) == answer then
    block.CanCollide = true
else
    block.CanCollide = false
end
2 Likes

ty ty yall. One last thing tho. How can I make it so the timer work
with everything else. And how do i make it so the blocks say random numbers on the surface GUI

1 Like

The DevForum is used to help you with making scripts. We will not just give you the whole script.
Try making the script yourself first and then ask us for help if you get stuck.

2 Likes

yeah your right ty for the help

1 Like

Well, Google exists for a reason. But if you do get stuck lmk, I’ll help u out.

1 Like

Detailed I suppose?

local FolderOfAllParts = game.Workspace.Tiles -- path to the folder of tiles
while true do -- a loop for rounds
   wait(2) -- a sort of intermission
   local number1 = math.random(0,10) -- our first number
   local number2 = math.random(0,10) -- second number
   local answer = number1 + number2 -- the sum
   for _,v in pairs(FolderOfAllParts:GetChildren()) do -- loop through all folder assigning them with names
      v.Name = math.random(0,10) -- setting their name to be random
   end
   wait(2) -- another wait
   for _,v in pairs(FolderOfAllParts:GetChildren()) do -- another loop so we can make them dissappear
      v.CanCollide = v.Name == tostring(answer) -- CanCollide means if the player can touch them and v.Name == tostring(answer) means if the parts name is equal to our answer
      v.Transparency = v.Name == tostring(answer) and 0 or 1 -- same as above
   end
end

ChatGPT is also a thing nowadays.

Not to be rude and to be also rude is you should start using your own brain and learn scripting first then making such games. I would say use either ChatGPT or use coaching by some professionals or just analyze scripts as LuaU is not at all hard to learn.

Yes, but I wouldn’t advise beginner scripters to use it, as its just spoon-feeding but on steroids.

1 Like

you should only use chatgpt as a last resort, it is extremely innacurate with roblox-related development topics

I know but I am talking about some small fixes as like you said last resort. When your brain says: Ah #### here we go again. Or when your like OP. (Sorry not to be rude)

1 Like