How can I make a part appear and disappear?

Hi developers,
I’ve been trying to make a horror game for a long time and I thought of making a model or part appear and disappear. If anyone knows how I can make this script please give me a comment with it. Thank you!

7 Likes

set Part’s Transparency

1 Like

It’s really simple. You just need to change the Part’s transparency on a loop:

local Part = workspace.Part --Put the part's location here

local WaitTime = 2 --Put the wait time you want in seconds

while wait(WaitTime) do

Part.Transparency = 1

wait(WaitTime)

Part.Transparency = 0

end
2 Likes

Open properties, and scroll to transparency, then change it from there. Same thing with reflectance etc.

3 Likes

There’s two ways I’d use to accomplish what you want to do here.

The first is by setting the part or model’s parent to ReplicatedStorage or somewhere else that isn’t Workspace or a descendant of it while in Studio. To make it appear and then disappear in-game, you set the parent of the part or model to Workspace, wait, and then set the parent back to whatever it was before.

local model = game:GetService("ReplicatedStorage").Model

local function appearDisappear(object)
    local previousParent = object.Parent --Will use to set the parent to what it was parented to previously later
    object.Parent = workspace --Set the parent to workspace, thus making it visible
    wait(5)
    object.Parent = previousParent --Set parent to the previous parent
end

appearDisappear(model)

The second would be setting the transparency like the reply above. If it’s a model, we loop through all the descendants and check if the descendant is a part.

local model = workspace.Model

local function appearDisappear(object)
	if object:IsA("Model") then --If object is a model
		for index, part in pairs(object:GetDescendants()) do --Loop through each descendant
			if part:IsA("BasePart") then --Check to see if it's a BasePart (BasePart is a thing like a Part, MeshPart, Union, Wedge, etc.)
				part.Transparency = 0 --Make it visible
			end
		end

wait(5) --wait

for index, part in pairs(object:GetDescendants()) do --Loop through each descendant again
			if part:IsA("BasePart") then --If it's a BasePart
				part.Transparency = 1 --Make it invisible
			end
		end

elseif object:IsA("BasePart") then --Else if object is a part
		object.Transparency = 0 --Make visible
		wait(5)
		object.Transparency = 1 --Make invisible
	end
end

appearDisappear(model)

I’ve written this so that you can use this with any object inside your scripts. I would personally use and recommend the first method as it’s quite simple and accounts for collision without having to do fancy shmancy stuff on your end. Feel free to ask any questions if you have any.

9 Likes

The below script will make your part disappear and appear:

local part = script.Parent --this is the script location(the script is the child of the part)
    local time = 1 --this is the pause time

while true do --this will make the script repeat
        part.Transparency = 1 --this will make the part invisible
        wait(time) -- this will pause the code
        part.Transparency = 0 --this will make the part visible
    end --this will end your code

Hope I helped you! :slight_smile:

5 Likes