How can I make it that when someone chats the message doesn't pop up?

How can I make it that it doesn’t show someone’s message when they type it in the chat, but they’re still able to type it in the chat? I don’t want to disable chat messages altogher, just make it that the players’ messages doesn’t show up. I’ve tried disabling ChatActive with SetCore, like this:

game.StarterGui:SetCore("ChatActive", {
active = false
})

I did it in a local script in starterplayerscripts, no such luck, did absolutely nothing. No errors either.

3 Likes

game.StarterGui:SetCoreGuiEnabled(Enum.CoreGuiType.Chat, false)
This makes the chat menu go away, but the player cannot type anything. Let me look some more.

1 Like

Huh, the documentation is wrong or I read it wrong. This is what actually works.
game.StarterGui:SetCore("ChatActive", false)

Ok, using player.Chatted(), deactivate the chat menu using the code above whenenver the player sends a chat message. Note that after they send the message, the menu will go away, but the player can still make the chat menu appear again.

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
      player.Chatted:Connect(function(msg)
      end)
    end)
1 Like

I’m not trying to make the chat close whenever someone talks, I’m trying to make it that when someone talks their message doesn’t show on the chat. I tried that but all it does is close the chat, when the player opens it back up their message is there.

1 Like

Use chat modules. Testplay, copy them, paste into Chat. They work the same was as the default / commands. (I’ll edit in a second with an example)

chat.rbxm (114.6 KB)

Ok look at the “FilterThing” module, it has an example.

Note I forgot to remove some of my edits to this, so in the ExtraDataInitializer there will be a group id you can delete (the one with the comment “Left as an example” above it)

2 Likes

You can go into game.Players[some player].PlayerGui.Chat.Frame.ChatChannelParentFrame and set visible to false. Easy peasy.

You may need to do that every time they die. Also, if exploits concern you, I assume the client will be able to make that GUI visible again.

1 Like

They want to stop the message sending, not stop them speaking, read the other replies.

1 Like

Yes, they can still type in chat.

1 Like

But the message will also send… They want to prevent message sending entirely.

1 Like

That’s not what I read.

“I don’t want to disable chat messages altogher, just make it that the players’ messages doesn’t show up.”

1 Like

Look; this is what they said. They want the messages to not appear when typed, not the chat UI to be disabled.

1 Like