How can I make my game’s lighting more realistic?

So at the moment I’m working on a recreation/showcase of another city/game, I’ve tried Colorcorrection, adjusting colorshift but it isn’t just fitting my preference to the game.
What I’m looking for is to make my city look as realistic/real life as possible. I’ve tried increasing the brightness which does help but unfortunately I cannot increase the brightness much higher as my game uses a very intense bloom which causes bright colors to be extremely bright and blinding. People would say remove the bloom but unfortunately the bloom is necessary for a feature of my game. It seems like colorshifttop is one of the best looking features but everytime I try to match it it’s just not right for me. If anybody knows how I can make this city as realistic as possible please don’t hesitate to reply. Here are the current pictures of my game:

6 Likes

This has been recommended before but I’m looking for realistic lighting, something that will make the view realistically stunning.

1 Like

Before I begin, I would just like to say off the bat that your city already looks amazing.

I would add more imperfections into your city, as nothing is perfect. Things like weeds, potholes, asphalt marks, cracks in roads, dents, etc.

I would secondly add some sort of surrounding, as most cities aren’t usually floating in an empty void. Mountains, a continuous plain/desert, and water could all do.

Your lighting seems alright.

I’d also add life. Maybe some characters walking, cars moving, etc.

They’re releasing a new type of lighting called Future lighting which is significantly more realistic. You could try waiting until it gets out of beta.

Have you turned up EnvironmentSpecularScale and EnvironmentDiffiuseScale? That could help.

Try toying with Future is Bright. People have made some amazing stuff with that. Not too sure on how that works, but I’m sure you’ll be able to find some resources.

EDIT: Added more info.

3 Likes

Things like weeds and stuff are good, but asphalt marks, potholes those are the things I’m unsure how to master and make it look extremely good with my roads.

1 Like

Have you tried playing with the exposure compensation?

1 Like

Yes, but like I said anything that makes my map brighter will mess with my bloom which means making my game brighter isn’t a choice here since the intense bloom I have in my game is required for a core feature of my game.

1 Like

We have a new light effect , go to lighting and change technology to future light effect , is will look good !

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m unsure if it’s live yet, Future does help one with the features of my game which I really love but here I’m looking on how to make my game.Lighting/Workspace look more like real life.

Yes , so try this light effect !

The Environment settings does help but just not enough.

1 Like

Please reread my reply, as I’ve said I’m looking to make my game.Lighting which is in the explorer look more realistic for my city game and make my workspace overall like real life.

Your skybox sucks. Try getting a better one here. Your city looks frigid due to the skybox (pale blue and white).

Instead, use a warmer and brighter skybox. I infer that your city is located somewhere warmer because of the tropical vegetation used.

3 Likes

It is based off Los Angeles, inspired from a game.

The skybox I’m using at the moment is also located in mistertitanic55’s Inventory listed as Peaceful Morning Skybox

I’d like my map to go from

1. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/612652014203174916/726949278894915624/unknown.png
    to
  2. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/612652014203174916/726949340836397156/unknown.png
    but my map just won’t go well with that level of realism.

I dont think its about lighting, what you are seeing there is an overlap of different materials probably one above the decal id and transparency 0.8 or near that.

What you are looking for is PBR materials, decal id images are just Albedos but they dont have Height, Metalness or Normal maps which are essential for realism, your Lighting is just good.

For those effects you will probably need to make a faking process, overlapping materials for different effects.

1 Like

Happen to know where I can get the perfect ones for my roads and sidewalks?

Try using the new “Future” lighting engine.

It looks great, better than most of roblox games ! I actually thought it was modded GTA:SA !
The only thing i would change is maybe the shadows color and the skybox, but I think the current skybox makes the game feel a little bit cloudy, so if you are trying to make a slightly cloudy atmosphere, this one is perfect. You should try using ColorCorrectionEffects but slightly change the contrast, etc… If you are making a very hot/sunny day, I think you should get a more vibrant skybox and a warmer ColorShiftTop…
Hope it helps!

If you are trying to make your game look like GTA V, you should make the shadows a little bit darker and use ColorCorrection to increase the contrast.