How can I make my sea more beautiful?

I want to make my endless skinned mesh sea more beautiful. It is inspired by this topic (@tyridge77’s sea). The texture on his sea looks really good, in contrast to mine.

The issue is that I am not really that familiar with using Blender and texturing in general. I am a scripter and not an artist. This is what I have right now:

I am aware of the level of detail issues in my skinned mesh. The goal of this topic is only to find a way to make the texture more beautiful.

I tried to import various textures, but none of them really looked good.

PS: I am currently trying to make a showcase of this game. There will be a ‘Cool Creations’ topic in the future about it with a public showcase.

1 Like

I’m not the most talented in this sort with the game engine, however I believe the only possible way to have this effect recreated is with a proper skinned mesh, as with textures you can’t create waves or true detail, you’re not going to get a good looking result just by placing a texture on a flat surface

It appears what the other developer is doing is using a smooth wave texture, but with the normal map on top of it to give it more detail.

I think it’s worth researching the topic a lot more and figuring out what works best or is the easiest for you.

1 Like

I just find it a bit annoying that all information I have comes from devforum posts, rather than actual Developer Hub documentation. So now I am just guessing that you have to do the texturing in Blender beforehand.

It is not flat, waves are actually emerging as you go further.

Yes, you bake your roughness map in Blender.
Put crudely;
What you would do is create the simplistic wave model

And then within blender you shade and texture the model, and then apply it in ROBLOX.

Ah, I see, it needs to be scaled up more than that if you’re looking for an aesthetically pleasing result.

1 Like

Yup, I see. This will be a struggle, cause I have never actually used Blender with success before. But I will see how it goes.

The waves are contained by an island mask, so they are actually quite big even though I did not include the true size of them in the picture.

I enjoy this guy, not only is it super helpful, it’s quick and really fun to watch!

Hi

If you’re still looking for this, I created this topic that can help with exporting PBR textures from Blender to Roblox: Export PBR textures from Blender (Water)
In my second reply you can see the AssetId’s. You can just use those if you want to.

1 Like

Your sea is nice but I do not like the texture repeating. You could make a bigger texture size.