How can I tell if a GFX is worth the price?

A lot of GFX designers charge in the hundreds to the thousands for single GFX designs, which is obviously not cheap. But as someone who’s not as experienced with GFX and art, it can be hard to tell what’s worth the price. Some of them can easily use a stock GFX or art design and I would not be able to tell the difference from someone who actually put in effort to make it.

My question is, how would you identify a real genuine GFX that took effort from a “fake”, free stock GFX?

2 Likes

100 Robux converts to 0.35 USD(minus taxes), imagine spending an hour, or even half an hour, just to get 0.35 USD. Even if you’re paying them 10k robux, they will probably only earn around 35 USD, and most experienced designers spend around 1 - 2 hours on each GFX.

Expect the prices to be high(4k - 20k) for each GFX for an experienced designer.

There is no way of knowing if the GFX is just a stock image but you can pretty much tell how hard it was to make it most of the time, you can always use a reverse image searcher to see if they copied anything.

1 Like

I ussually take a screenshot and send it to Google Lens for a “reverse engineering search”.

2 Likes

The issue here really isn’t pricing, the issue is how to tell genuine developments from something found on the internet. It’s pretty easy to find stock GFX designs and pass it off as something that took hours to make, and there’s no clear way to tell as a consumer.

What I’m asking here is for advice from experienced designers, what are some signs that may show that it’s not worth the cost.

Also from what I’ve seen on the forum the 4-20K price range is on the extremely high end. Most of what I’ve seen is around 300-2K ROBUX which would be a fair and reasonable price assuming it’s a genuine GFX.

1 Like

That’s because most of the designers are most likely not experienced(<3 years of experience).

Hey a GFX designer here,

sorry for typing so much but it’s important lol

• to check if they really made it. Ask them a screene of the layers from their photo editing software. There you can see how much effort it went into making that gfx it won’t be true always but will work most of the time.
  • to check if it’s genuine ask them the render that they exported from Blender/cinema 4D/maya but if you’re still not sure ask a screene of that thing in the software.
  • about the price idk man sometimes i’ve seen people buying high quality gfx for super cheap or super bad GFX for like too much. (i’ve seen a guy buying a icon for 600 :robux_gold: and it was just entirely stolen and blurry)

at the end i just wanna say as a GFX designer my self I would really hate when someone would just not trust and ask so much proof but if you explain them, two things can happen if they feel like they’re going to get caught they will rage and deny, but if they really made it they will understand.

3 Likes

While in many cases this can be true time can be considered, people have their own lives as well as the fact that to get something done a person may have to come up with a new design because the original one wasn’t good or they may have to find some kind of fix when an artist comes across something like this it could of taken hours so you can’t base the effort done simply because of something like layers or how much lighting is used in the render engine etc so if you ask me something like a screenshot of the person in the actual file is good for preventing copies but still not very good for determining effort.

True, but when someone who has near to no info on how things are done, they don’t know how much effort it takes to achieve that deformed surface or that rocky texture. so even though you show them the thing they might not be able to predict how much effort it took case they themselves don’t know how to do that, and so I recommended the layer thing.

adding into this some people over do things and put a lot of effort which was never needed and make the buyer pay for that, taking your example Lighting most gfx can be lighted with 1-2 blender lights and a HDRI but many newbies use so many point lights to achieve that effect and consider that effort spending hours into in similarly posing, new people take longer to achieve a pose but for someone experienced it can take 5 minutes at max. So you never know how much effort went in, only the person knows that.

If you want to discuss more about it i recommend making a new post or PM me cause this is solved and might be marked as off-topic.

With all due respect as a consumer I’m not paying for the process, I’m paying for the final product. As @BigNose_kid says based on experience a dev may be faster than others at doing the same thing. I don’t think it’d be fair to consumers to be charged more just because they took longer to do it if a more experienced dev can do the same thing much more easily and for a lower price.

For example, as a builder I can easily build something like a well detailed table in 20-30 minutes. However a more unexperienced modeler might take an hour, or even two hours. Let’s say the experienced builder charges 20 ROBUX for the table but the unexperienced one charges 200 ROBUX. Would it be fair if the unexperienced modeler charged more just because they took longer for a similar product? Obviously not.

May I remind you that although you are right assuming all gfxs are made the same as well as the fact that no I guarantee you the majority of gfxs are not used with 1-2 lights and a hdri and posing can vary depending of how you parent different objects etc

Unfortunately It kinda does vary with most designers cause I mean even someone like i5k will pull this thing abt how you paying for the time and the product. Also a lot of gfx designers will ask for a portion of the pay before they start and from personal experiences I simply label this as the time spent on the gfx in advance hence the reason why if a person quits, no refunds cause they’ve already spent the time on it and they’ve quit for some kind of reason. This is why I recommend sticking to DevForum portfolios because you’re less likely to get scammed or something close to that.

i said it already, i don’t think that reply was needed.