How can I think of ideas for an overworld map?

I’m trying to make a game similar to The Legend of Zelda A Link To The Past, but I can’t seem to come up with an original map. If any devs that are experienced with or have done map design or similar, how do you come up with designs and terrain and such? Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, I’m using parts to make the terrain, not using the terrain editor.

edit 1: changed bricks to parts in the last sentence

1 Like

You mean parts?

First of all:
If you wanna make an Overworld map, You need to find some images on Google or any Search Engines you got. And make a plan of it. Make it bigger or how you want it. But here’s an Advice.

ADVICE:

• If your using neon parts, do not use it. Or it will hurt the players eyes

• Adding trees everywhere can be good, But do not add Trees only. Make some ponds, Lakes etc.

• Make different bioms, Like Forest, Desert, Jungle etc.

• Making skies, Make it a little bit cartoony, Simple and of course, Magistic for all players to see.

I know that it seems hard to make Overworld maps, But if you really are dedicated to finishing your biggest project, Then you gotta do it. :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope this helped you

EDIT: I got 2.3 Yrs of Building Experience and UI Modern Designing (A little on Modeling).

2 Likes

It’s really not that hard, what I recommend doing is having areas, probably in different places within your game to save performance. By using areas it allows you to focus on one specific part of the map while not feeling overwhelmed by the rest of your world. That being said, you then probably want to think about the necessary parts of your map that are needed to progress your game, like cities or quest areas. After that, you can start planning where each of these areas will be, how close or far they are from each other, I would begin planning on paper. Lastly, add details, like trees, hills, and water, once you have a detailed plan, you can start making it reality in Roblox Studio. One piece of advice, don’t make your map too large, no one wants to walk 10 minutes through a town.

1 Like

I’d highly recommend planning the map first, And then if your done with all the planning then you can start with the assets first, Starting off with assets is because if your done with the assets then make the map At least you can just put assets in the map without wasting any time.

Am I right?

neon part abuse, yes

You can still use neon parts, and depending on colors and transparency it is more or less bright.

Yeah, Maybe lower the transparency to lower the brightness.

This might be a bit out there, but some of those new AI image generators are pretty good for getting some inspiration. Entering a prompt for a mythical forest can help you get a more solid idea of what to fill specific areas with.

For terrain style, I personally just draw some circles and make a topography map and give areas names. Then I add paths, marks for landmarks, and take notes on how areas should be designed. Once I’m happy with a design I import the decal into Roblox and scale it, building a basic outline on top of it. Decals are pretty crunchy in Roblox because of the resolution limit, but it’s a good place to get a basic idea.

If you need help getting topography ideas, go on Google maps and find some areas that you think look quite nice and enable terrain view in the bottom left.

just some ideas

1 Like

Yeah… True, Couldn’t agree with you more!