How could I achieve "Surfing" mechanics?

If you have ever played CS:GO you probably have tried the popular custom game “Surfing” in which the goal is to get to the end of a long course while strafing along wedges.

Due to the fun I used to have surfing I decided to try to recreate that in Roblox but, I’m not a scripter at all and don’t really know how I would even go about doing this, is there a way that I could achieve it with no scripts or very few scripts possibly?

If you don’t know what surfing is here is click here

also here is a picture of the start of a small map I am gonna make for it (only worked on it for 30 minutes):

Thank you all for reading! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Without scripting, there is no way to achieve feel good surf mechanics. It’s actually a bit challenging to pull off correctly.

1 Like

Lol no, maybe depending how you implement it.

Well, when you are trying to emulate something else your best bet is to research it in order to get the gist of what is surfing in the first place anyways, so I did it for you:

What really makes the difference, is the sv_airaccelerate. It is pretty straightforward what it does: it makes you accelerate faster or slower when in the air. Some servers has the sv_accelerate and sv_airaccelerate set to either highe or lower values. For example they could have sv_airaccelerate set to 1000 instead of 800.

when you jump, you retain momentum. since you are not technically touching the ground as you surf slopes, you don’t lose your momentum, and you continue to gain speed as you strafe alongside them and sort of abuse the physics engine. not sure if this helps at all, but i gave it a shot

TL;DR, you need to emulate this state of perpetually adding velocity like the source engine when you are on a slope. Kinda why when you go down on a ramp to gain speed you gain velocity.

1 Like

Okay, I will look into this. Thank you!