How could I make a flight system?

Hi devs, how could I make a plane?

Similar to this: ↓

2 Likes

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

1 Like

Youtube videos.
Search the forums for posts about “airplanes” or “plane”.

As the instructions for the support forums say, you shouldn’t be asking for a script, just help on a script you’ve already written.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be asking the forum if I hadn’t searched up on YouTube first. There are little to no tutorials on how to make a flight system, they mainly consist of people saying “put this script here and that folder there and yay we have a plane”.

[Dont take my advice seriously it is my first time trying to type an opinion/solution]

What I would do is start off simple.

Firstly I would make a simple model, a platform with a seat on it.
Weld everything together so it holds. I would not make an entire plane and only starting scripting after making the plane because if you are aren’t able to make the script then you wasted your time making the plane. So just make a small Replica.

After that I would begin scripting. So what do I want to make? I want to make the plane rotate towards the mouse position, so I will script something that rotates it to the mouse’s position. After I got it rotating to the mouse’s position I want it to make it go forward, make it fly. So I script something that makes it fly forward, make it fly in the direction it is looking.

And I would just continue with these steps, I want to make it more smooth, so I am going to lerp it or tween it.

What do I want to make? How do I make it?
And don’t think: How do I make a plane?
Instead: How to make it fly foward? How to make it turn to the mouse?

do you have any airplane model or code down at all? if so i can point you in the right direction.

the airplane in the video flies using BodyGyros (or AlignOrientations) and BodyPositions (or AlignPositions) or BodyVelocities (dunno the new body mover equivalent someone correct me :sweat_smile:). based on the planes pitch an u accelerate at different rates which’ll be how fast the BodyVelocity is or how fast you update the BodyPosition.

-How do you make planes on roblox?
Making basic plane physics
Is there a way to make a simple plane script? - #3 by millguard20

“How could I make a plane” is pretty generic.
Do you just want it to fly? Do you want it physics based or CFrame based?
Do you mean you want everything to work like in the video, or just simply be able to fly?

Sorry, got delayed so if someone else gave some of this info already then ignore my repetition.

1 Like

BodyVelocity’s and BodyGyro are all deprecated.

I did attempt to make a plane, I made a parts CFrame look at the mouse position every frame (Renderstepped), I also added a VehicleSeat to the part and listened for player input when they hit the WASD keys to control a VectorForce moving the plane forward or backwards.

This didn’t work at all, there was no bugs in my code, for some reason the part didn’t lift off the ground, I think its because the part was colliding with the baseplate, I’m not sure.

Here is my attempt: ↓
PlaneTest3.rbxm (10.4 KB)
(Put the local script in StarterPlayerScripts)

@Scottifly @danipoplpl

Could you please send the file as a .rbxl? Because I can’t open the rbxm one…

Deprecated means it won’t be getting updates and may be dysfunctional in the future. a lot of ppl still use them as they’re easier to set up and use compared to the new bodymovers because new ones require attachments and some require two which is very annoying to manage. you can constantly CFrame the plane but it’ll look very choppy depending on your method and it’ll be very intensive to CFrame a plane every frame depending on how massive the assembly is. i could make a mock plane using your model and leave it here for reference if you’re curious.

1 Like

Instead of CFrame’ing it every frame, I came up with an idea to use the camera to control the pitch and yaw (direction) and then the “A” and “D” keys (left and right) to control the Roll of the plane:

Screenshot 2023-01-14 180537

Only problem is I don’t know where to start with camera manipulation.

a lot of it is experimenting and problem solving/asking questions as you go. best i can do rn is link you to some references/resources

https://create.roblox.com/docs/reference/engine/classes/Camera

1 Like

Depends on what kind of flight system, like the one in zeppelin wars and navy warfare?

Yea

Roblox doesn’t let me post anything under 30 letters

I think I achieved this before, the model is probably on my profile.

I also made a showcase on my new post if you want to see the kit in action.