How could I make a shadow behind a gui!?

I have been working on different gui’s for fun and learning, and I’ve come across a cool thing to add depth to your gui and its basically a shadow behind your gui, But I don’t know how to make something like it but I would love help.

This is also my first post so I’m sorry if this post is bad

Example 1

It’s kind of hard to see but there is a subtle shadow behind the gui.

Example 2
This is more like a neon/glow effect on the gui but I could be turned down to be more shadowy like.

2 Likes

I don’t think this is possible in Roblox itself, however the creators probably made an image on an external website and uploaded it to Roblox as a decal, and used that image Id in an ImageLabel

2 Likes

Do you know how you could do that? And thanks for the response!

1 Like

The easiest option would be to create the UI in a program such as figma or photopea with a shadow then import it into roblox, or you could try to add UI frames behind the UI with gradients or something

2 Likes

Are you asking for something like this?

1 Like

Almost, it should be a bit more transparent at the end.

This?
or this?

2 Likes

for example 1:
use [Released] Drop Shadow - Roblox
for example 2:
use getpaint.net (external windows application) and copy the image and use gaussian blur on it

1 Like

Thank you for the information! But the Drop Shadow Plugin only covers the bottom and I want it to cover all around the gui.
Is there a way you can make it do that or no?

dont think so, you’re better off using another program if you need that

Alright! Thanks for the response

I personally use Figma for my UI Design works, so here’s how you can get it on there.

Insert/make a square or any shape of your preference
Hit the + Sign on the Effects tab

Click on the little sun icon to edit the drop shadow
Change the Y value to 0 (it’s usually set to 4 as default)

You can mess around with the settings to get your desired effect

Result should look something like this :

You can go ahed and export the image, I recommend checking the preview to double check

Last but not least if your working with images I recommend running your exports through an Alpha Bleed Fixer - it’s ment to fix the weird black outlines you get around images when you scale
Choose File > Upload your export > Save the image and overwrite your old export and then head into studio and import it or use roblox’s create page to import

5 Likes

I would make a frame, and use a colour of 0,0,0 then i would create a gradient and the transparency would smoothly go from 0 to 1.

I found a plugin that makes a shadow around the whole gui but it does not seem to work with full gui circles.

If anyone knows a plugin or a way to make a shadow on a circle please tell me!

The plugin is Better Drop Shadow It does not have a devforum with information but its pretty simple.

You enter a project in Roblox Studio and you go to the plugin tab on the top and you will see

if the gui is round for example:
then you press the 10px button (or the Create round shadow) and the shadow will be on the gui.

If the gui is square then press the Create square shadow button

4 Likes

Thank you for the detail in the process of making a shadow!!

1 Like