How could I make my zombie survival game unique?

This could have been asked before, or it could be a new question. Either way I’m wondering how could I make my zombie survival game unique? I’m making a project with some friends (not expecting it to be popular or anything), and we’re basing it on games like Project Zomboid, Apocalypse Rising, and Unturned.

What unique features would you LIKE to see in a zombie survival game? What makes a zombie survival game NOT fun for you?

2 Likes

let’s start at the beginning
What makes Project Zomboid interesting is without a doubt, the game’s own health system, more than the gameplay in general, in that it is another zombie game, but also different, with the aforementioned, Project Zomboid Unlike other games of the genre, it forces you to avoid contact with the zombies as much as possible, the “magic” of the game is in it.(However, if you don’t want to spend several months scripting just a similar health system, I don’t recommend Project Zombied as a reference.)
On the other hand, Apocalypse rising and unturned should be the objective games that give you the general idea of ​​the game itself (to make it simpler), if it is true that those fog effects and the generic low saturation color palette in almost 80 % of zombie or survival horror games, serve to set the scene and do a great favor to many places in the game world itself
Unturned deviates from this rule and with a much more colorful palette, it still gives you exactly the same experience and at the same time gets rid of that depressive style, which unconsciously makes most players bored due to the “lack of life in the environment”. ", this in the end tires, to avoid this you could try to alternate with that colorful palette along with a day and night cycle in which that foggy effect is added at night along with less lighting and this gives your eyes a rest

3 Likes

I would say have different types of zombies with zombies having one unique ability. Also animations for the zombies that is realistic. What makes a zombie game not fun for me is the zombies not having good animations.

1 Like

Idea: Make a full story with characters. You wanna know how the zombies got there and you gotta find out all the details of the apocalypse.

But if you not going with that listen to what FerkiiOnFB said.

1 Like

thank you a lot! I may try to concentrate more on the color scheme since I believe it can significantly alter how the game feels. I might also put some time in creating a “advanced healing system,” but probably not as advanced. Either way, thank you for the feedback!

@CheezBoy27 A story seems interesting and I haven’t seen many games do it besides Unturned. It would be interesting to see inside a Roblox game.

A story seems interesting and I haven’t seen many games do it besides Unturned. It would be interesting to see inside a Roblox game.

@Qudesi I would say have different types of zombies with zombies having one unique ability. Also animations for the zombies that is realistic. What makes a zombie game not fun for me is the zombies not having good animations.

this seems really interesting but I might try it in the more difficult areas so newer players have more of a chance.

1 Like

Game where you play the zombie

Game where the zombies are bees (zombees)

Game where you control a zombie army, RTS style, and have to defeat the other players

It’s mostly based of Project Zomboid or Unturned so I don’t think these would really fit the game.

Make it perma death. When you die, you get banned.

Unique!

2 Likes

Story, lore, chapters, timeline, scenes, missions, something that brings the gameplay a sense of logic and purpose.

1 Like

It depends, but seeing you’re making an open-world game (based on the mention of Apocalypse rising, I’ve never heard of Project Zomboid), one thing I would say could make your zombie game unique would be the map itself: Most of the ones I see are usually very plain, and the detailed ones are pretty small, so maybe try making a moderately-larged size map with a good amount of detail that won’t lag and one that is interactive enough, so players would have plenty to explore

I would really like to see your survival game though, good luck with it

1 Like

thank you for your luck! that’s also kind of a “peeve” of mine that we hope to fix.

horrible idea, its like asking your game to die

1 Like

I agree. But he wasn’t asking for good ideas, just unique ones.

2 Likes