How could I plan a game?

(i wasn’t sure about which category this should go. tell me if this is the wrong category)

1. What do you want to achieve?
    I want to know how to plan a game correctly so it goes well. My friend and I use Trello to plan things before we start development like what items should be in-game and what is the point of our game.

2. What is the issue?
    I want to know what are other ways you can plan a game so that I don’t have to think of more ideas while I’m developing. This is usually how I stop developing a certain game.

3. What solutions have you thought of so far?
    My friend and I have used Trello before but we’re not sure what we would need to plan.

Any solutions would be appreciated!

Edit: Sorry I didn’t realize there were other topics about this.

1 Like

The best advice I can give is start small. What is the core gameplay? What are your strengths? Set goals based on that, so that you can actually reach those goals.

Example:

You want a fighting game and are good at coding (but not graphics). You want all sorts of cool features like crafting, trading, skill systems, magic, etc.

STOP! It’s a fighting game, and you can code. Start with a game where 2 people are fighting. This is the core gameplay (what you want the player to spend most of their time doing).

Once that is done, decide what feature improves that gameplay the most. Probably skills or increasing the number of enemies. Or maybe you want to improve the graphics. Work on that next.

If you don’t know what you are doing and you start making huge project boards, you are going to get in over your head. If you tackle only the core gameplay features first, you will have something tangible that improves over time. Eventually it will come together and look like your vision.

This is how I get things done. I have a big picture, but that picture is never my project. And you don’t need to start with code either. I am good at art and wanted combat. I started with swinging a sword… then parrying… then coding eventually to put it together. Then back to the next art thing.

3 Likes