How did Jailbreak do their terrain?

Do you mean like this?

Screenshot_107

Screenshot_106

2 Likes

There could be scripting in building terrain.

2 Likes

Like that. A shape of cylinder. Can you add more and send me a pic?

1 Like

Have you tried meshes with textures?

2 Likes

I’m not the best at terrain, but do you mean this?

3 Likes

Hey Michael!

Intro

I’m glad you’re interested, but I want you to know the way Jailbreak does their terrain isn’t too special, just a plugin, and lots of hard work and countless hours reshaping and smoothing. So If you want to achieve the same quality of terrain they have achieved, that’ll come down to the time you spend shaping and molding the terrain into your vision.

Breakdown

For them to create such “cylinder like pyramids” is essentially based on a plugin called “Part to Terrain” which can be found below:

Plugin: https://www.roblox.com/catalog/261634767/Part-to-Terrain

So Jailbreak’s terrain looks like this,

Picture: image

For you to replicate this, simply group a bunch of parts in into a cylinder, preferably aligned by a 45 or 25 degree angle as so:

Then afterwards, stack them any way you’d like to get the shape you wanted to mimic:

Then use the plugin to convert it:

Disclaimer/Conclusion

It is up to you to determine how close my demonstration is to the actual end product I showcased first.

Now as easy as I might have made it look’s your job to look over the dimensions of your target mountain/part cylinder and determine what works for you, my picture is purely a demonstration for you to understand how they did it but you must do the heavy lifting to replicate exactly your desired end product.

It’ll take time, don’t fret you’ll get it soon enough. Goodluck! Hope I helped!

23 Likes

This can be simply achieved now with the new cylinder brush?

4 Likes

Now thats what I am talking about! I am mobile right now and and I am going to edit this reply when I test this on computer. If this works, I will mark this as Solution

1 Like

I Build those terrain like that. I am bad at terrain building :joy:

2 Likes

Could you use cylinders here instead of grouping parts? Cylinders would make it look like similar or accurate to JB

1 Like

Finally! I can create something that I’ve been wanting for so long! :grin:

Now I can give my game some more realisim. I could finally build a good terrain like Jailbreak. Thank you!:smiley:

3 Likes

They also have a cylinder brush in the smooth terrain editor, though I’m pretty sure this is for beta players only. You can try signing up for it here:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/enroll-in-the-roblox-beta-program/45778

Once you’ve been accepted, there’s a new ‘Beta Features’ setting in your studio, where you can test upcoming features before they’re released. You can turn on this terrain editor feature here:

I’m not sure if the cylinder brush is even a beta feature, but someone mentioned it before and you didn’t mark it as the solution, so I’ve just assumed you don’t have access to it.

4 Likes

You should watch some terrain tutorials on Youtube to make terrain like in jailbreak!
That not that hard!

When using the Plugin. I received a most unwanted effect.

1 Like

Hey Dominus,

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been quite busy.

Possible Explanation

The plugin from what I know converts parts to terrain from wherever length and width the parts cover. The holes in your terrain might be caused by:

• Your parts aren’t completely intersecting one another
  • There are still unconverted parts inside the terrain

Conclusion

These are some quick fixes and possible solutions I can think up on the top of my mind, let me know if it’s fixed.

Hope I helped!

Second Response

Hey @Blue101black!

I didn’t know that existed beforehand, I believe that was developed recently, it’s currently in beta. I’ll opt in and try it out for myself, but from the looks of it it should give you the same results if not better. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I’ll definitely have that under my belt.

Thanks!

3 Likes

The add tool can help you a lot. Once you have your layers built its pretty easy to smoothen the terrain and start building.

I just used the add tool. Though there are still some bumps. It says “The Part (wedge) is not supported”.

You could probably fix this by using the add, or grow tool(s) to fill in the holes.

I did that. Though there are still bumps.

Don’t see why you can’t use the smooth tool for that.

1 Like