How did you learn to build?

Even thought I am learning scripting, I also want to find out how to build and learn some basics of building.
I decided to go to Youtube and search some tutorials but the only ones I found were from model creator and a playlist by Roball.
I would like to ask all of you out there who are experienced with building.
How did you learn to build?
If you learnt from youtubers, who did you learn from?
What are some basics of building and how can I learn them?
Thank you for the help in advance!

7 Likes

While there are many useful tutorials on youtube to get you started, I found that the best way to progress was by spending time in studio and messing around with the various tools it has to offer. Try making simple things and experiment with different styles and methods. Test things out and see what works for you and you’ll quickly learn things that will help you improve.

3 Likes

When I started back in 2015 (on my old account), I was literally making games out of free models. However, if you want to get into building, there are many ways you can do this.

Method 1 is looking at other Free Models. Honestly, this is (in my opinion) the best way of getting to know how you can make complex shapes out of the parts given. Try to recreate these models and compare them, see what can be changed to improve the design.

Method 2, is to use tutorials. This can be helpful, but I find that often the YouTubers go over the details way too quickly and expect you to know exactly how to do it. Some tutorials are good, but you might have to dig for a while.

Method 3 is to use lots of images on google. This method is very similar to the 1st. If you have a second monitor, then make a moodboard of images that you intend to copy. look at the closest details, but also try put your own touches into it. There is no point copying something and not changing anything, as you don’t learn. If you do not have a second monitor, upload it as a decal and use that. Make sure it is scaled correctly by using a Humanoid Rig as reference.

Once you are comfortable with the tools and learning how to build, experiment! Open up a baseplate and let your imagination run wild.

Good luck!

6 Likes

After you get the basics of building, it comes with imagination or reference picture. No matter which, I believe without Ugly build can’t make the gorgeous. Good luck.

3 Likes

Feedback

I only started building around 3 years ago. Similarly to gaolmwo, I used to make games out of free models. I had no understanding about parts and such. I did not even know I had to anchor my parts. However, I did not give up. I experimented with the different mechanics in Roblox Studio and found out that if I union a group of parts, they did not fall (note that I still did not understand the purpose of the anchor yet). My first proper creation was a simple duck. I found it really enjoyable so I just made more and more. However, I do not possess any creativity so most of my work is usually based off references. I actually did not use any tutorials, I just tried to build, that’s really it.

I hope you find this useful and I wish you well in future!

4 Likes

I actually agree with you, imagination contains power.

3 Likes

First of all, the only way you can become good at building is practice. The best way I’ve learn’t how to build is looking at refrence. I mostly build low poly style which is probably the most common style on roblox currently.

I find building low poly quite easy, due to some plugins I use. If you are struggling to build a certain object I reccomend using this plugin:
I only use the “Terrain” tool as it joins the parts together and you rotate it.

Example here

3422640071efc6ffffd3b49ce556a7e1asdasd on Vimeo

2 Likes

I was very jealous of how peoples are making those types of beautifuls. I tried on Roblox Studio for my first time and it got amazing results, I also had to watch youtube tutorials to learn how to build with blender too, that was my actual weakness.

2 Likes

I’m a self-taught builder. I first started when I attended F3X Competitions and started to improve through tutorials on YouTube. I eventually got comfortable with studio and built up from there. I also used real life images and free models to reference to.

3 Likes

The way I built from 2016 to 2020 was simply from a series of Inspiration!
And an interest in the build styles of the games of the front page.

Such as: Murder Mystery 2, Arsenal, Simulators and etc.

I also just seemed to practise almost everyday and whenever I could, so that’s important if you would like to get better.

2 Likes

Lots of experimentation and tutorials. My friend who works on a well-known game showed me the ropes and I used that as a launch platform.

Seriously though, if you create a bunch of small projects you start to learn a lot about how different tools work and how to be efficient while also making things look good. Don’t be afraid to use the fourms for help!

1 Like

Everyone started out as new. For me, I used free models in the beginning to where I then would try to replicate and improve upon them. There are many resources out there that you can use.

Some examples would be tutorials on youtube. I’m sure if you search hard enough, you’ll find some decent tutorials (not the one’s you mentioned) that can give you an idea. I know many people, and myself, take reference pictures from the internet and then try to replicate them in studio. You can go to other games and try to recreate something in that game. As time goes on, your skills will improve.

It takes time to develop skills, and each thing you create will improve over time. Hope some of these tips helped. I wish you the best of luck for the future!

2 Likes

Funny enough, a few years back there was a game along the lines of “build your own mech.” I got hooked and just built for straight weeks. Soon after a found out about studios and did some stuff there, it grew more and more into a habit. Im self taught i guess and pretty much never used a tut.

1 Like

Hello.
Whenever I start developing I always built stuff in games, I then learned to build in studio by messing with the multiple buttons and testing new things. I didn’t learn from Youtube as I learned myself as it’s not quite hard when you figure out what some of the tools in the studio do to help make building easier and more understandable but you could also take a Free Model from the toolbox for example and try to duplicate by building it yourself as it could be very good practice. But I would suggest messing with the properties the buttons on the Model Tap and the Home Tab.

1 Like

Hello! To be honest, this is a really weird question, since I always keep watching questions like: “How I learn to script?” and that stuff, but never saw something for building tho.

Anyway, this can be simplified to practice. You have to spend time on Studio, see how you can combine simple shapes to do more complex shapes, like I always say: “Learning is a journey that never ends, never stops and never be repetitive, there’s always something new to learn”.

You can now take an example me, I have took only ONE tutorial ( series tutorial from the Blender Guru and not even all, I stopped on the 2 chapter ) and I was already able to do stuff like this:

When I finished the scene, I was really proud of me and what I’ve made, but, something inside me said me “I need to learn more and not get satisfied with our current progress”. So, I learned water and more complex stuff to the point I can make now some good sci-fi scenes ( on the moment I have one commission working with @N_RS.

There’s always something you can learn out there, please never be impatient and take your time, learning isn’t for those who want to actually know all from the subject in 2 days, it takes time to get some experience.

1 Like

i never found tutorial of use, just build what i want for my project, and it progressively got beter

1 Like

Learning to build

When I started out with Roblox development, I was a builder. I never really necessarily learned building from a specific person. I would watch Model Creator’s videos to get ideas. What I would do is get a few reference pictures and build something off of that. Start small with houses or small shops, then start building cities and more detailed projects. Here are a few tips for you going on as a builder. :+1:

Tips

1. Use a color scheme generator. These are very helpful when you can’t find good colors. coolors.co
  2. Look at free models and see how they are made.
  3. Don’t limit your imagination. If you have an idea, go for it. If it doesn’t look good, well you still gained something. You learned something new
  4. Always plan your builds out before, whether it is a rough sketch or a detailed blueprint, it helps with the building process.
  5. When looking for references, if you can find the exact place that the image was at and go there on google maps to see a 3D view of it. This really helps out because you can be at the place without actually going there.
  6. I would recommend not using F3X and using Roblox Studio. Roblox Studio is much more in-depth and has much more tools then F3X or any other substitute for Roblox Studio.
  7. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice.
  8. Lastly, learn from others. Go into other games and look at the structure of the building and how it was made. Try re-building it in Studio. If you are going to publish it as a game, I suggest giving credit.

That was a lot! :sweat_smile:
Hope this helps! If you have any questions, just ask them. I will be happy to answer!

-Blox :smile:

3 Likes

I learned to build by playing F3X games. I wasn’t very good at first of course, but I was inspired by seeing everyones builds around me. Some people were kind enough to give me some tips. I spent almost an entire day creating an entire house! That basically taught me most of the basics to the building tools, after that I started to be able to dissect each build part by part so I can build it myself. For example how you can combine cylinders and squares, and stretch meshes to your liking.

After learning the basics I went on youtube to learn how to build on studio better. I learned how to use unions, negates, groups, and other tools. So after learning about the basic tools, and being able to dissect others builds, I was finally able to look at references and create my own builds! I practiced by looking isometric references, 3D models, and speed builds of houses on the Sims. Really all you can do to progress after learning about how to build is by practicing. You get better over time and over tons of building. Trial and error is common but you’ll definitely improve!

2 Likes

I agree, the most common way to get good at something is by practising and just trying new things out.

2 Likes

May I know who you watched cause I want to see if their tutorials are good as well