How do builders make pyramids or like curves on a bridge

So I was looking up a bridge for a game I’m make and noticed that it is in an arch-like shape. I am also curious about pyramids due to the fact that they may serve a purpose for my game later. I’m not sure if it is with unions or such, but I’m just curious on what to or plugin that serves this purpose and to make it as clean as possible. I know this is probably a basic question, but it never hurts to ask for some help. Thanks!

5 Likes

Hello! A pyramid with a triangle base will likely require some careful unions work or the use of a mesh. For a pyramid with a square base you can just use 4 corner wedge parts.

Could you supply a reference image if you’re asking how to recreate this, please?

1 Like

If you don’t already know, builders will use meshes designed in blender or another 3d modeling program. They allow for more intricate shapes, but the more meshes and the more vertices each mesh has can lag your game. Another flaw is that mesh hitboxes are not perfect to help roblox go faster, so having meshes that you walk or touch is not optimal.

Here it is.

Something like or for a reference.

1 Like

Also i’m really worked on building for a month and so I’m fairly new to it. Can you explain to me about meshes.

Oh alright. My process would be to use a curve tool if you want to do it in-engine, but just making a mesh in blender and using parts for the actual walkable surface could work too.

I don’t use any plug-ins to make curved objects such as that but unions I also use rarely as well but I generally build objects with just parts and mixtures of spheres and wedges.

Ok. So I think I get what I have to do now for a bridge like this and for future builds. Thank you.

This will also be helpful soon so I can start working on making my own weapons.

For the bridge I’d use the archimedes two plugin. It allows you to set an angle and which face to branch the parts off of. In this example, you would create a rounded half arch (only half because it can be mirrored later) using the Archimedes 2 plugin. Have an angled part above it (outlined in yellow). After this step you should have your flat angled brick at the top, and your quarter circle for the arch below. Mirroring this will result in your completed bridge, but you’ll still have a large gap between the top of the bridge and the arch. Just resize the arch bricks upward and sideways (sideways to account for gaps that will appear between the individual arch bricks after resizing them up) and the gap will be filled without the need of unions or wedges. Of course extra steps will be required if you want something more detailed, but that’s how you get the basic shape for the bridge.
Screenshot_12

You can build nearly anything in-studio if you’re a good problem solver and break the build down into steps. I’m not sure why everyone’s suggesting you use blender or unions especially for something as simple as a pyramid. I wouldn’t recommend spending time fidgeting around with corner wedges either (as opposed to just two connected wedges) unless performance is a critical issue and saving the extra 1 part will make a noticeable difference.
Make a flat square base, then duplicate and move it up an appropriate amount depending on how large your base is. Edit the size of the duplicated brick to be 1x1x1, and then gapfill the edges between the base and top brick. This process takes 30 seconds at most and only consists of 14 parts once finished.

11 Likes
4 Likes

First of all, thank you for showing me on how to make the bridge. That is a good chunk of information to process. I’ll try to go step by step and do my best. I should of mentioned that it would of went over a small part but I think I could still try. The second part I think I understanfd but I feel that I might need a gif or a step by step for. Thanks for the information though!

I’ll build an example of both and upload a video of the process for you.

1 Like

Thank you! I appreciate your effort for such a simple question.

Alright! If you are planning on making meshes for your game, use a low poly art style to reduce vertices. I would recommend using blender because it is completely free, but it does have a somewhat difficult user interface for complete beginners. Anyway, once you create you mesh, you want to export it as .obj or .fbx.

Go ahead and open up roblox studio and insert a meshpart into workspace

Click on the part you just inserted, and go to your properties tab and find “MeshId”

Once here, click on the little folder

This will open up a file explorer. Go ahead and navigate to the mesh you exported from blender, in my case I will be using a tree asset I had lying around.

Once you open that, you will be greeted with a button asking if you would like to keep the location data, go ahead and click yes

And there you go! The mesh part should have transformed into whatever your mesh was, where you can go ahead and resize it and change it’s properties.

If you want to texture the mesh, you would have to create a custom texture image and import it under the texture property.

Good luck and happy modeling!

Thanks for the mesh introduction, but like you said earlier its not really good for something you would walk or touch. Since this bridge will have to walked over then mesh wouldn’t work out at all. Maybe for the pyramid though. Thanks however!

A combination of meshes and parts could work, like the image shown eralier. Also if the top of the bridge is just flat and curved, then it should work just fine

You can very easily do this by unions through making a cylinder into a negative part and then using it to slice out the arch you want.

That might be good for a basic cutout shape of the bridge, but I wouldn’t recommend doing it that way when building something more detailed since it makes editing afterwards more of a hassle. Collision can also become an issue with something players are meant to travel on or around.

I wouldn’t suggest to use it for roads or a surface to walk on, but for untouchable arches that aren’t skewed and are just a perfect cutout “U” it works pretty well. If I want more accurate arches I just use wedges and place circa 3-4 wedges on each side and resize them to make them a smooth transition.

Example of a bridge I made using that wedge technique.

3 Likes