How do Devs Make Games Together

I have never been in any sort of group project or anything like that and, I was wondering how do developers make group games? Do they just use team create? But, I remember hearing something somewhere that it isn’t trustworthy or something. I don’t really know so I thought I would ask.

Usually (if not always), Team Create is used. The “untrustworthy” part of it might be because you can’t truly track what things one person might be doing.

Team Create allows you to edit with friends at any time, making it harder to track any wrongdoing.

Just allow trustworthy friends to edit and you will be fine.

EDIT: Group Games have an option to make it so specific ranks can edit, I believe.

11 Likes

Ok, that answers my question. Thank you! Also, yes. Groups do have an option to only let certain ranks edit games. :smiley:

To add on to @Santeeisweird9’s answer, the untrustworthy factor is that any developer can download the game to their computer which allows them to re-upload it as their own. To avoid this, you should just make sure that you regularly back-up the game to your computer so that they can’t steal everything.

1 Like

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for telling!

1 Like

They do, but generally no finer control than this within a given group. You either have place edit permission, or you don’t. Some larger development teams use a team create for the build/maps, and another place for developing scripts. Some also use third-party source control for code, nearly always github.

Most importantly (I think), none of the Team Create places involved should be the published game. In other words, once you have your game published and people playing it, do not open it for edit or enable Studio API access on it. That’s asking for trouble. Develop in copies of the place which you then publish to the live game place using Publish To Roblox As…

Ok, thank you for clarifying that. That makes a lot more sense. :smile: