How do I access the Character Sounds after the new update?

Last week an update rolled out which made Character sounds, like Running, Falling, Climbing etc. located in the HumanoidRootPart instead of the head, and the server-side access to these sounds was taken out. Here is the thread for that update:

My question is, now that we cannot access these sounds through Server-side scripts, how can I be able to change the sounds so the changes replicate to the server?

I used to have a script that changed the Volume and the Sound ID of the “Running” sound from a server script, but now, I had to move it to a local script because the server script could not locate it anymore.

However, now, only the player can hear their own Volume and Sound ID change, while the player can hear the rest of the player’s default Sound ID for walking.

How can I get around this now after the update?

6 Likes

If you’d like to change the footstep sounds, you can copy the RbxCharacterSounds and paste it in StarerPlayerScripts. Open the script and change the volume, soundId and pitch, etc.

7 Likes

Thank you, but what if I need to change the sound in an event and not only when the player is created?

1 Like

I’m not really certain about this, this is a hacky solution and I’m not sure it works or not.
Create a StringValue inside the script, instead of changing the SonudId like you used to do, change the string’s value. Then edit the RbxCharacterSoundScript to reference the String:

local SOUND_DATA = {
Climbing = {
	SoundId = "script.Value.Value",
	Looped = true,
},

Then use value.Changed to trigger the table to update the value when you change the string value, I highly doubt that this won’t work well, as I haven’t really explore the new script in a detailed way…

2 Likes