How do I add on to a path in photoshop?

In Photoshop, I’m trying to add to a path. However, I’m not sure how to do so even after I looked through its pages. Here’s a screenshot of my current path:

How do I add to it?

1 Like

I’m really new to Photoshop and ngl, it’s pretty complicated for me at least.

1 Like

Not sure what exactly you need help with, since paths are self-explanatory, but here’s a step-by-step guide:

1. You can make paths with the shape & pen tools, I’m assuming you used the pen tool for the shape you made in your post
    1. Clicking on the pen tool will show you this dropdown menu
      where you can choose between curves, straight lines, draw freely and get your strokes automatically transformed into paths, etc.
    1. By clicking on the canvas, you can start setting anchor points, which will slowly build up to form the desired shapes
    1. If you were to accidentally un-select your shape, and want to come back to it to add more anchor points, simply select the path layer
      , and while having the pen tool selected, hold left Ctrl and drag your mouse to circle the anchor points you want to get back to, this should make the anchor points pop up
    1. Now by clicking on the anchor points you can select them (the anchor box icons will fill in when selected) and edit them to your liking

If there are any other questions you have that I didn’t answer in this quick guide, let me know! I’ll be happy to share my Photoshop knowledge, I know it’s a hard software to get used to.

I’m wondering how to add more paths to it since I’ve been experimenting with Photoshop previously and managed to understand how to edit paths.

1 Like

Ohh so you mean as in layers? You can create layers on the right side of your screen, so you can have multiple paths in multiple layers.
However, if after making your paths you want to merge them together into one big shape (and don’t want/need to group them up in a new folder), you can right-click on the layer, and pick “merge down” or any of the merge options on the dropdown menu.

1 Like

Uh, I meant like… extending the path, like adding more of the points. For example, let’s say I have 2 points done in a pentagon, and obviously I need 3 more, how do continue adding those 3 points after I deselect the path?

2 Likes

I quickly recorded this video, it also shows the keys I’m pressing so hopefully it can help you out.

Thank you for the help! It seems that it’s working.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.