How do I begin doing commissions?

Hi, I’ve been developing for several years now and I feel that my building skills, in particular, have advanced to the point where I’m ready to start selling builds as commissions. The only issue is that I don’t have any reputation in the development world, and I don’t have a portfolio of any kind. How would someone like me start doing commissions?

If this is off topic then tell me where else to post it because I thought this was the most well-sutied category for this.

28 Likes

You should start off by creating a portfolio and posting it in the collaboration section. After you do that you’ll probably start receiving friend requests with offers and then you should pick the one that most interests you. If they offer revenue percent you gotta make sure they have a plan for their game to ensure there’s any hope for it succeeding but if they offer a solid payment like USD or Robux then you should send them updates continuously while you work on it and when it’s completed ask for payment before sending and when they pay you send it to them.

If the person who hires you annoys or harasses you then you should not feel pressured into keep working for them. You as an individual matter more than you as a developer or worker.

One more thing, be wary of scammers. There’s not a lot of protection for developers against scammers so the only thing you can do is exercise common sense when dealing with people.

Hope this helps you and good luck with your career! If you have any questions just hit me up on Discord; you can find it on my profile.

33 Likes

This definitely helped. Thanks! Do you recommend I make a place for a portfolio or an image with pictures of them?

5 Likes

You should put images in your portfolio since it’d be faster for people to decide whether or not you meet their qualifications.

5 Likes

I see. I’ll get to work on that.

2 Likes

For starters, I suggest associating yourselves in Discords, and look for developers that need people. You’re going to want to join maybe Hidden Developers, that’s an amazing area to start.

6 Likes

I’ve been offering free assistance to developers who cannot find helpers because of their circumstances for years. So far that hasn’t been very efficient, and I only get paid in Robux. I’m mostly looking to sell my things cheaply for USD.

3 Likes

The main difference between selling in Robux and USD (in my opinion) is the type of build. High paid commissions for big jobs I say is easier in USD. For smaller jobs that wont pay 5-10K+, just go Robux.

Thats my advice.

4 Likes

Here are a few guidelines to follow:

Starting Out
Create a portfolio for yourself, build stuff for fun in order to start creating a portfolio, do it in varying styles to give yourself more depth, and of course include several builds of the style you typically build in to be the “center pieces” of your portfolio. Don’t build just one thing in different styles either, build a variety of items.

Selling Commissions
When you begin selling commissions, it’s best to use the collaborations section of the dev forum, with a header such as “Builder for hire” or something along those lines. Don’t start out making your commissions too expensive, you need to develop a name for yourself before you can start getting the reputation to be worthwhile for higher priced commissions. Don’t be afraid to back out either: backing out of a commission you feel like you can’t do is better for your reputation than making an attempt and failing miserably.

Hope this helps you get started with commissions.

6 Likes

The thing is, I have no idea what to build. I don’t know where to start. I kind of consider myself a mostly global builder, so I’m pretty confident that I can build in most if not all subjects.

1 Like

You can check out Cool Creations for inspiration but since you’re a builder and you said you can build in all subjects then you aren’t really limited by any particular styles, it just matters what interests you most.

3 Likes