How do I bend the limbs?

I’m in blender, I’ve tried using rigs and got no good results, I’ve tried edit mode and I have tried just moving them into position, and I just can’t bend limbs. Are there any tutorials, in depth explaining how to bend limbs?

Secondly,
How do these amazing graphic designers achieve lighting like this?

3 Likes

regg.obj (259.0 KB)

Use this! All you need to do is add the texture of the model, like in this tutorial.

I know how to add the textures etc, but once I do all that, get the rig set up - I still don’t know how to bend the limbs. Also, do you recommend I move to the newer version of Blender?

1 Like

Download the latest version, I recommend it. It’s way easier with a lot of functionality.
And watch this tutorial and download this rig in the description

Is your character rigged or not? If not then search on YouTube how to do hard bending of Objects

3 Likes

Subdividing or bisecting in edit mode could work. Lighting is probably tons of lamps/point lights etc… It’s not my strong point but I am pretty sure that’s how it’s done.

The first thing I recommend is tris to quads, go to edit mode, select faces, press a to select everything, and then press tris to quads.

Select the middle part of the legs, then right click and press subdivide, it will divide it into as many sections as you want.

From there, select what you want to position. You can press R to rotate, and the buttons on the left to position stuff. Keep in mind this can happen, but just press 2 edges and press F to create a new face between them.

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 5.26.46 PM Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 5.28.20 PM

Now, in the second screenshot, you may realize the shading is a bit wonky, however you can fix this by edge splitting, press the edges you want to make sharp, press control/command + e (depending on mac or windows), and press edge split. Now, your shading is fixed.

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 5.30.38 PM

Now, keep in mind that sometimes the shading can mess up, I will show an example:

There are two ways to fix this, one is the edge split method I mentioned before, but the other one is to turn off auto smooth.
In the bottom right, press the Object Data Properties button (Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 5.35.23 PM), and then press the Normals menu, and then ensure the auto-smooth checkbox is disabled (has no check).

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 5.36.17 PM

The reason there’s a diagonal line is because I subdivided it wrong, you just have to undo and keep retrying if it happens to you.

This should (hopefully) get you started. Let me know if you need any more help.

3 Likes

Oh, forgot to add: Try using R6 rigs as much as possible.

1 Like

Just trying this now, in the 2.79 version, you can use Shift+F to move, can you do anything like that here? Also, once I get to subdividing, I have the same problem, I don’t know how to properly move the parts.
Another issue, I imported the same object I used in the old version but it does not separate the limbs so it’s all just one thing, including accessories.

2 Likes

Before we start, I am going to use wireframe a lot, just press shift + z to easily switch in and out of it.

First thing, you can just press R to rotate actually, I forgot. You can also select an axis by holding the scroll wheel, a white line should show up, move that white line to whichever axis you want to rotate on.

For moving, ensure you have faces selected at the top, and you are in edit mode, not object.
Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 6.01.47 PM

You also may have to make more subdivisions depending on how you’re moving the limb and how natural you want it to look. Look in the bottom left, and you can change how many cuts you want per face.

Now, select everything you want to move, then press R as much as you want to rotate, and move it to make it look natural.

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 6.06.38 PM

Now, select the next bit, keep in mind it’s one below the previous subdivision.

Rotate it, and move it as you wish. Rinse and repeat until you have a somewhat natural looking bend.

Now, fix it up creating faces and edge splitting as I’ve shown in my previous post, there’s your bent limb.

The un-separated limbs have 2 solutions:
1- You can manually export each limb individually
2- (less efficient probably), you can manually separate selected faces with P.

2 Likes

Thank you for this help! It is much appreciated, and may kickstart my GFX journey.

1 Like

No worries! Good luck. Feel free to reach out if you need to.

1 Like

Once you render whatever your making, a lot of post processing and compositing would take place. Also just messing with lighting really would alter it, and what textures you use

1 Like

Sorry to bug you again,

Is this meant to only show the grid on one side?

No worries.

You have to select all the faces that you want to subdivide, so in this case, it would be the 4 faces around the leg.

Got it, thanks for everything!

1 Like

Might want to watermark your photo next time haha.

Looks good!

1 Like