How do I create equal lighting across an object

Hey developers,

So I wanted to create this nice wall panel and I wanted some lighting to reflect off of the wall behind so I added a blue rod behind one of the panels parts. I can’t get it to shine equally. As you can see in the first picture it seems to be breaking into squares. I don’t know if I’m even using the correct lighting object. I also want it to not bleed through the wall it’s reflecting off of.

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 9.32.59 PM

1 Like

The lights may be bleeding through walls because you’re using Voxel, Shadowmap, or Compatibility lighting technology instead of Future. To change lighting technology, just go to ‘Lighting’ in your Explorer and you’ll see a ‘Technology’ property. Change it to Future. Since your lights already have Shadows on, you don’t need to do anything else.

I’m not so sure what you mean by the unequal shining. Changing the lighting technology could help with that.

Keep in mind, future lighting can be very laggy. To optimize your game along with Future lighting, just disable CastShadow on parts that don’t need it. Also, try to minimize usage of lights.

2 Likes

try creating a part behind the panel and put a surface light with a low angle facing outwards or inwards

1 Like

“I’m not so sure what you mean by the unequal shining.”

So if you look at the first image, notice how the light looks like it’s splitting into like 2 squares when it’s shining on the wall.

Probably this plugin helps?

1 Like

Ahh. I see it now. I tried copying your lights and it does the same thing. Unfortunately, since older lighting technologies (Compatibility, Voxel, and Shadowmap, three of which are similar to each other) are inaccurate and grid-like (voxel), you cannot do it no matter how hard you try. Your last resort is using Future lighting.
Old lighting (Notice how it’s all squares, no angled lights)

Future lighting

That’s exactly want I want! Looks like future lighting is it. Ill try later and update you.

I think this worked perfectly, just as how I imagined it! There’s also no light bleeding through the back.

1 Like

Actually it’s being a bit weird again, as soon as I hit play it changes. The light doesn’t fill in the gaps anymore and its bleeding through the back like crazy again.

Make sure your graphics quality is high as future lighting only enables on those levels.

Yikes, it works mid-high. But a lot of people have their graphics low, and that might ruin the experience for people with mobile or bad pcs.

Yup. That’s the sad thing. We couldn’t do anything about it. :frowning:

Ah damn, well thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.

1 Like