How do I define the time of day and display the minutes?

QUESTION 1. I am trying to make the GUI show the time of day on the GUI. I already have a day night cycle, showing hours and minutes. But I can’t figure out how to make the time of day definition?

I mean this: (time of day)
from 0:00 to 3:00 - night
from 3:00 to 12:00 - morning
from 12:00 to 16:00 - day
from 16:00 to 24:00 - evening (and here the cycle repeats again and again…)

QUESTION 2. I also can not figure out how to make the minutes in the GUI displayed correctly (and not just as a number.) Just if the minutes are in the interval from 1 to 9, they will be displayed as normal numbers, but not in the format 00, 01, 02, 03 and so on. Also tried to make a spacing condition, but I don’t understand how to make double inequalities in LUAU. The syntax swears at this :confused:

HELP!

1 Like

local Gui = --Put your gui here

function getLightingTime()
local totalMinutes = game.Lighting:GetMinutesAfterMidnight()
local hours = math.floor(totalMinutes / 60)
local minutes = math.floor(totalMinutes % 60)
local period
if hours < 12 then
period = “AM”
else
period = “PM”
hours -= 12
end
if hours == 0 then
hours = 12
end
return string.format("%02d:%02d %s", hours, minutes, period)
end

while true do
Gui.Text = getLightingTime()
wait()
end

2 Likes

You just need to restructure the if elseif statements just like that:

local ClockTime = Lighting.ClockTime
local DayType: string

if ClockTime <= 3 then      -- from 0 to 3 (it can't be negative)
    DayType = "Night"
elseif ClockTime > 3 and ClockTime <= 12 then   -- from 3 (3.000001) to 12
    DayType = "Morning"
elseif ClockTime > 12 and ClockTime <= 16 then   -- from 12 (12.000001) to 16
    DayType = "Day"
elseif ClockTime > 16 and ClockTime <= 24 then   -- from 16 (16.000001) to 24
    DayType = "Evening"
end

You can check if the minutes value is less than 10 by replacing the first statement to:

if Minutes < 10 then
    Real = "0" .. tostring(Minutes)
end
2 Likes

Thank you so much. You helped me!

2 Likes

For the gui thing you could make 3 or 4 Seperate text labels and place them close to each other to make it look like its 1 text, For the minutes you could figure out how many seconds the minutes are in your game, when you figure it out then put a local script in all of your text labels and put this code:

local text = 6 – put 12 if the game is 12PM when you join it.

while wait() do

text=text+1 – after the amount of seconds you put, the text will multiply by 1

script.Parent.Text = text

wait(120) – how many seconds its gonna take for the text to change
end

1 Like

Thank you too! I’m going to test your version.

1 Like

@EgizianoEG @puf0chek
This is actually a Very inefficient way to check time. there are a lot of better ways to check the time rather than using elseifs, I’ll give an Example:

It would be a lot Easier to use string.format to concatenate instead of using .. as that can make your script look weird.
To Put Simply:

% is something to replace
%s means a string
%d means a number (Preferablly an Integer)

However, the Item you want is %02i which will add a 0 Digit to your number, so if you had the Number 1 and format it to %02i, it will give you 01, if your number is ten, this will return 10 , you will have to add another Digit to the format so: %03i and so on, this will give you 010, this is useful so you don’t have to use a bunch of if statements to add a 0 to your String:

This should be the Format if I’m Correct:

string.format("Day %d|%02i:%02i|%s", Days, Hours, Real, DayType)

Printing it will give you these Results:

Summary
print(string.format("Day %d|%02i:%02i|%s", 2, 1, 5, "Hello")) -- "Day 2|01:05|Hello"
print(string.format("Day %d|%02i:%02i|%s", 2, 12, 50, "Noon")) --"Day 2|12:50|Noon"

Plus, Its Generally better to swap out the if statements and use a table:

local Times = { 
["Morning"] = 0; -- 12 AM
["Dawn"] = 6; -- 6 AM
["Noon"] = 12; -- 12 PM
["Evening"] = 13; -- 1 PM
["Afternoon"] = 15; -- 3 PM
["Night"] = 20; -- 8 PM
}

So, In this case, we can do:

local DayTime
local ff = -1 -- found Format (Used to assist the for loop in finding the format)
for dt, x in Times do
    if Hours >= x and Hours > ff then -- checks the number and gets DayType
        DayTime = dt -- new DayType
    end
end

So now you have a good system to use! What now, then you should format your code from the example above.

2 Likes

I agree, but he wanted a fix for the code he provided not an entirely different method of it.

2 Likes

Wow! Thank you! Your code was the best. And the explanation too!

1 Like

It isn’t exactly a Different system, its mainly improvements upon Concatenations and ifs/elseifs

Hi again. I checked for the full cycle of the day and found a bug. For some reason only “Morning” “Noon” “Afternoon” is shown and the script does not show the rest. Can you figure out what the reason is?

1 Like

you can probably change the limit if the Number finds another number bigger than what it has, so you would add ff = Hours to do so, so it should be this:

if Hours >= x and Hours > ff then
        DayTime = dt -- new DayType
        ff = Hours -- This makes it so the loop has to look through a new limit
    end
1 Like

I’m probably boring you already, but it’s not working again. This time it started showing only 2 values Dawn (almost all day) and Morning (the first 3 hours in the game).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.