How do i emulate gamepad to test my scripts without a console?

(first topic on devforum, i’m not sure if this is the right category to post in, i couldn’t create a topic in studio features)

hey there, i currently find hard (or… impossible) to test out my control scripts that should be compatible with both pc and console, i don’t really own one but i want my games to reach bigger audiences, i have read lots of articles and watched videos, i know how the controls work and how to create them, but theres no real way for me to test them on my pc… i did some research and couldn’t find anything builtin the studio, tried some emulators outside of roblox for pc, but i found out the gamepads work on console only (\ not totally sure as i saw some videos of people playing with gamepads on pc). is there any way for me to test if my control scripts would work on a console?

4 Likes

You don’t need an actual console, since you’re specifically testing for controller input, so I’d suggest that you buy a USB Xbox One controller and plug it into your computer. I got the cheapest one I could find at Best Buy ($25, I think) and it’s worked perfectly.

10 Likes

would plugging it in actually just work normaly for roblox(on average pc)? both playing games and testing in studio? any drivers, adapters or custom software i should know of?

I believe that you do not need any third party program to make xbox controllers work as expected on PC as they would on console, so plugging it in should work fine as Roblox detects what your input device is same as consoles can detect your input device based on what controller, keyboard, or mouse has inputs being done through them.

1 Like

The drivers will automatically install when you plug in your controller via USB. Also, I’d recommend investing in an Xbox 360 controller rather than the One, as they’re cheaper but function almost identically on PC as the Xbox One controllers.

3 Likes

thank you all, i will get my hands on one of them as soon as i can!

If you have a PlayStation controller, you can use that too. However you would need a third party software to use it. They are work exactly the same too, so no compatibility issues here. This is how I test for controller input, an option if you already have a ps controller and don’t want to spend money for another controller.

1 Like

no i never touched console, don’t really have one, i tried some emulators and stuff with an average usb controller i brought somewhere for 10 bucks, didn’t really work for roblox… i’m trying to get into the console, i believe a big part of roblox is on console :slight_smile:
thanks anyways, i’m about to borrow an xbox one from a friend so it’s fine

I have used a Xbox one controller instantly, you don’t need any custom software.

2 Likes