How do I fake a certian features of a ray tracing engine in Roblox?

I’m wondering how people fake a ray tracing engine. Is this just cleverly placed point lights? Or is there something else going on here. (The red on the walls)

5 Likes

I think you mean ray tracing. Roblox has released new shadow maps and other various lighting related features that allow screenshots like this to be taken.

1 Like

I do know about these engines, but whenever I use them, I don’t see this happen. Sorry, I wasn’t being specific, I was talking about the red on the walls.

This could easily be photoshopped but I believe it’s using the new lighting mechanics.

1 Like

If you’re talking about this game, there’s nothing tricky going on, no scripts. It’s not possible to make shaders in the current Roblox engine, to my knowledge at least.

I’m fairly certain that game uses beams. I’m not sure how exactly it works, but there’s no faking ray tracing.

You can simulate it by using beams or multiple mostly-transparent non-collide bricks. If you take a close look at this screenshot, you may notice the edges of different bricks used to create this.

3 Likes

The red on the wall is a very dim surface or pointlight, if you look closely around the place there are quite clear focus points where the source of the light is. Combine this with beams and the new engine and you’ll have something similar to emulating raytracing in your game, although making a feature like this that live updates would be a rather challenge.

6 Likes

I believe Segi does indeed use a raycaster of sorts. Either Segi or some other game.

There was a tech demo where you could toggle on and off global illumination and it would reflect light on both moving objects and player models. I’d have to find it.

I am not entirely sure how you could do this though.

1 Like